Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I'm rebuilding my first Porsche 356 engine, it's a flat

Customer Question

I'm rebuilding my first Porsche 356 engine, it's a flat four, very close to the original VW Bug engine. Block is back together (engine is still on the stand) but I get NO GAP on the rocker_arms-to-Valve_spring_assembly, no matter how much I back out the set screws. All parts are original, or new parts were matched to old parts to assure exactly same size.
Any ideas as to why I cannot get any clearance?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

1st thing to check is that the pushrod is fully seated into its lifter cup and if you've replaced the barrels with new then check the height against the new item as they can vary a reasonable amount, certainly enough to require shorter pushrods or the use of some shims under the rocker pedastals

if you do fit shims under the rocker pedastals use some engineers blue on the valve tips and rotate the enigne a couple of turns to ensure the rocker tip is wiping over the valve tip evenly

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
do you still need help?