Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2005 997 Carrera tiptronic. No CEL, no faults on P-Wiz.

Customer Question

2005 997 Carrera tiptronic. No CEL, no faults on P-Wiz. Issue: On accelleration (in Manual mode) from 1st-2nd, sometimes 2nd - 3rd and rarely while at constant speed, the car will act like I took my foot off the gas pedal when I didn't. It will respond in a few seconds or after I've pumped the gas pedal a few times. This happens at random times... sometimes several times on a drive, sometimes not at all.
We've replaced the: air mass meter, throttle body, throttle pedal and fuel filter. We've cleaned connections.
Car has 75K miles and has never had any other issues.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt,Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. However I don't feel like you thoroughly read my symptoms and the steps that have already been taken to try to solve this issue. The car does NOT run rough. If there was a leak it would trigger a fault. The fuel trim figures are perfect, as close to zero as possible. What you described above has already been addressed and it didn't solve anything.If you have any experience with this happening on cars then I would be interested to hear how you solved it.Best regards.