internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Porsche 911 carrera convertable: Engine light on porsche 911

Customer Question

Engine light on porsche 911 does not go out car is 911 year 2004 just had major service 40,000 miles two months ago is carreara manual trans.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Porsche Tech.You will need to scan the vehicle's ecu with an OBD2 scanner.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
It could many reasons that can trigger the check engine light. Such as misfire, loose gas cap or o2 sensor is bad.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
If you can give me the trouble code that starts with a "p" . I will be able to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wha t is a p code I do not have an analizer or computer for this vehicle have already checked gas cap yesterday was ok, also checked fluids
Oil level water etc no problem, oil pressure ok also, trans fluid ok.no problem with differnt engine noise ok, however somthing I think it was
fan motor came on after vehicle turned off.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Fan comes on after engine off is normal. You will need to go get a scan from a shop or try autozone where they can scan the computer. It is not expensive to check and it take about less than 10 minutes to get result. The trouble code will start a P prefix with 4 digits follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I have stated I donot have computer for this vehicle what is a p code and how do you find it sorry am an australian somewhat brain
dead when it comes to mechanics mate, thank you.please reply.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hi mate, the only option you have is either purchase an OBD 2 scanner or bring it to a local shop. This is the only way to find out the check engine light code. These modern car now are all driven by a series of computer. It is not expensive for this procedure.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
A trouble code is stored in the computer you will need a code reader to read it. You will need to bring it to a shop where they have this code reader. Almost all shops will have it.