Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Porsche mechanic.
20625509

Porsche: !986 911. havent started in 7-8 months Yea I know

Customer Question

!986 911. havent started in 7-8 months Yea I know I need to drive this thing more. Wont jump. Bought a new battery. still wont turn over Thoughts
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean won't crank or start? If crank, does the starter make a noise at all when you turn the key to start?
If you meant won't start and the engine is cranking, try a couple of shots of starting fluid into the Carb or throttle body. You never did say what year this was. If it starts with the starting fluid for a few seconds, then it's most likely a fuel system problem, so check the fuel pump and fuel injector fuses and the fuel pump relay. If it still didn't start with the starting fluid, it is most likely an ignition problem, unless of course the security light is on or flashing and if so, try another key, but if it isn't on and the engine cranks but don't start even with starting fluid, check the ignition fuse/s and then check for spark or if you have a tachometer, see if it registers a cranking rpm. If it doesn't check the ignition primary circuit. If it does show a rpm, check the secondary circuit, which includes the ignition coil.