Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Porsche Boxster S: I have a 2006 Porsche Boxster S with the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Porsche Boxster S with the tip tropic emergency run error and 4th gear light flashing. I've read all kinds of possibilities from ATF low to blown transmission. the car is not modded and not really driven hard, has 55K. I imagine trans fluid has never been changed, 2nd owner. Never had any problems with shifting. My wife got in it one morning and it threw this code. The only thing that we have noticed is the gear selector being difficult to put into gear and sometime you think it is in gear but you get a warning that the selector is not in gear. I bring this up because I tried to reset the code by disconnecting the battery. When I reconnected, for maybe half of a second I saw the gear selector code come up before the tiptronic code.
1. Could the gear selector issue trigger this code? 2. Is this a code that once the issue is corrected, the error will reset? Is there a way to correct by disconnecting the battery? I read something about connecting the two cables together to drain the capacitors? thank you.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this does sound like an issue with the electronics with the gear selector itself or in other words the transmission position/range sensor acting up.When this acts up this can cause various transmission faults like you see here needing repaired to correct this issue.I would have this checked into/tested further to be sure this is the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car is in the garage and I am waiting on a dura metric scanner to try to pull codes and reset the error. Is this sensor inside the transmission?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This switch should be located on the outside of the transmission housing where the shifter cable connects to.It will have an electrical plug connected to it.
Thanks Pete