Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Porsche Boxster: I have a 1999 Boxster with a rag top. Never

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Boxster with a rag top. Never have had any problems with the top going up or coming down until yesterday. I was washing the car and went to take the top down and the toggle switch did not activate the top to open. No action at all. However, windows went down when I released the latch.
IM not exactly mechanically inclined but am hoping I can figure this one out (with your help of course) and save some time and a trip to the dealership.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** can help you out with this, sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
can you start the boxter and pull the parking brake handle up and tell me if the brake light comes on the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi LouThe parking light came on.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok have you worked the top before ? This car is not new to you is it ? Just want to be sure
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I tried to accept the phone call FYI. Something is not letting g me. Also we would have to do the call tomorrow if ok that way I can have my information in front of me to assist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iv'e had the car since 2003. I have never worked on this top or any other rag top. I am hoping its a switch.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Well if the parking brake switch does light up the dash when activated then the issue is most likely the soft top switch. That's why I asked if the light came on the dash. The systems are pretty simple. I would swap the switch and see if it functions before testing or replacing anything else. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the response. I've never attempted to replace switch. can you provide some instruction n how to rteplace?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
actually before we do that, here is a flow chart we have, lets start at the basics first, i dont want to mislead you, check these fuses first in the diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the diagram and I will check these out before doing anything else on the car.I appreciate your patience and helping try to fix the problem vs driving down to the dealership and waiting for the bad news before opening the check book. Thanks again.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Haha no problem ! I appreciate your patience ! Soft top issues can be tricky. I will do my best.