Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Porsche 944s: I HAVE ROUGH IDLEING, SURGING AND LACK OF

Customer Question

hI I HAVE ROUGH IDLEING, SURGING AND LACK OF POWER IN MY Porsche 944S 1987. looking FOR SOLUTION. aNDREW
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the spark plugs which looked ok and ignition leads. I have added fuel additive to clean the injectors. I have done a check on a vacuum leak using Easy Start to hear a surge in revs but no change was noticed. The car is new to me and I want to identify common Porsche 944s problems in this regard.
Andrew
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
1024x768
Hello this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?