Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Porsche mechanic.
20625509

Im not sure its battery or starter ? I charged bttery and I

Customer Question

im not sure its battery or starter ? I charged bttery and I can hear only metalick click in engine cayman
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to check battery ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is not to old probably 3 years ?? I got from porsche dealer, couple days was weak ?? was slow to start car, I start to charge by Porsche charger and today only clicking in the engine ?? no start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike are you there ??
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you don't have a voltmeter, there may still be a way to find out what is wrong. Turn on your headlights and dome light so you can watch it as you turn the key to start. Now, turn the key to start and tell me what noise you might hear from the starter and/or relay, plus if the engine turns over or not and if so fast or slow and most importantly what that dome light does. It should just dim slightly and the starter turn over the engine fast enough to start. If it dims heavy and the starter turns over the engine slow or just clicks, then the battery is low on charge or is bad and might have a dead cell or something. If the light does nothing then there is no voltage making it to the starter and/or relay and might be a fuse blown. If it goes out completely and the starter maybe just clicks the 1 time, then there is a loose connection somewhere and start with see if the starter wire is loose along with checking the battery terminal ends. One more thing though if the engine is seized up, it will dim the light heavy and maybe turn over slow or just click the solenoid, one or maybe even more than once.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Another possibiilty is a bad starter and/or solenoid. That, too would either just click and the light dim heavy or in the case that the starter has an open circuit, it wouldn't dim the light at all.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Tell me what the dome light does when you turn the key to start. I know the solenoid is only clicking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lights were off fully in the car and headlights and only clicking when trying to start the car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Are you telling me the dome light and headlights don't come on at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Off when starting car than came back, I think is battery !!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will call dealer tomorrow for battery, thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
No, it's not the battery if the lights go off completely when turning the key to start. That means a loose connection. If it was the battery bad, the lights would just dim heavy but still be on, just barely.