Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Porsche Boxster: I have a 1998 986 with tiptronic. I have

Customer Question

I have a 1998 986 with tiptronic. I have recently added a 3rd radiator because I will be tracking the car more and plan to make engine modifications over the next year. The car never had any overheating problems. Now, after adding the 3rd radiator, it is overheating. Now, any time I get aggressive with the car or try to put it on a dyno, it overheats and squirts out coolant (a lot, almost all of it) in front of the rear tire on the passenger side. How can I get this damn 3rd radiator to work correctly????
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
To be honests unless you plan to add a turbo charger and race teh car I doubt that there's a need for an additional radiator, providing your standard system is flushed clean and the radiators are in good condition then you shoud lhave no need to add more radiators
I woudl reccommend returing the cooling system to standard but replace the thermostat with a cooler running item such as this
http://lnengineering.com/products/other-watercooled-stuff/160f-low-temperature-thermostat-insert-only-use-tool-106-062-to-remove-install.html
If you're dead set on keeping the 3rd rad , then I'd check that the highest point on teh pipe runs allows water flow through it , and add a bleed point if you are in any doubt - if you have a vacuum bleeder kit then this relaly helps to draw any trapped air out via the header tank
if there isn't one you may have to add a bleed point to the 3rd rad end tank
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?