sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Porsche Boxster: I have a 2001 Boxster that runs pretty well

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Boxster that runs pretty well but has a few issues. My 1st issue is that my hi- beams switch will not hold . The Hi- beam will work only if I keep the handle pushed down manually. If released , it goes back to standard - low beams. It's only a big issue but... My 2nd problem is a much bigger issue. Starting.. about every 2 months I have a problem starting the car. Turn the key and nothing. I'll keep on trying than eventually it will turn over and start. Is this a starter issue or possibly something else?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The dimmer switch issue is a mechanical failure of the switch itself.
The starting issue could be quite a few things and it will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.
If you get a single click from the engine compartment then failed starter solenoid contacts would be most likely, but it could be a cable or connection issue. Power would need to be verified on the solenoid driver wire, engine ground and starter positive feeds verified/voltage drop tested.
If you get no noise whatsoever it could be the ignition switch, wiring, the starter relay, clutch switch (manual trans), range sensor (automatic trans), or a wiring/connection issue with any of the components.