sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Porsche 911 Carrera: Had the car jumped. Seemed to have a

Customer Question

Had the car jumped. Seemed to have a surge in power. Dashe lights increase and dimmed. When I later turned the car off, it would not restart and no logjts, nothing. Fuse or worse. How do I diagnose? 2001 Porsche 911
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds like you most likely have a dead battery and possibly a charging system issue. IF you had to jump it, the lights dimmed while running and then it wouldn't restarted again that tells you that the battery has most likely failed and the alternator may not be charging it. You may have a failed alternator or an internal failure in the battery may be preventing proper charging.
The first thing that should be done is have the battery load tested or swap in a known good one. Once the engine is running again then the charging system should be tested. Keep in mind that charging issues can be intermittent and testing may need to be done at the time a problem is happening, such as the lights dimming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What machine do I get to analyze the charging system?
A charging system tester would be best used initially and if it isn't charging then electrical testing will need to be done to test the alternator's output directly at the alternator, if it isn't charging then testing of it's control inputs will need to be done. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will do basic charging system tests for free.