Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Porsche Boxster S: I have a 2002 Boxster S with 50,000 very

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Boxster S with 50,000 very carefully maintained miles. The engine stopped on me when 1 mile from home and would not restart for about an hour. Then it restarted and died again in about 4 minutes of driving. I replaced each of the following with no improvement: Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Relay, Crank Position Sensor. I also removed and cleaned the MAF. Presently it will start and run for about 3-4 mins then the idle rpm begin to drop until it shuts off. cannot be restarted for 45 mins to an hour. No CEL and no codes show up on m OBD II scanner. Any thoughts? Fuel tank vent valve or? Thanks. GM.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It very much sounds like the purge valve may be sticking open causing too much flow , did you fill the gas tank up just before this happened?
Also when it does die and you crank it again does it seem like it wants to fire or no? Next time it does die. Remove the mass air flow and spray starter fluid and see if it starts. If it does we know it is a fuel problem. Also try to run the boxster with the mass air flow unplugged and see if it stays running. Let me know what your results are. Thanks. Lou.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
And I know you said you replaced the crank sensor but where did you buy the part from. As the only thing that 99% of the time causes your issue is the crank sensor. You need to ohm the crank sensor before you start the car. And when it does ohm it again. If the readings are nowhere near each other than the crank sensor is faulty. And just because the sensor is new does not mean it is ok. Do not let that fool you.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.