porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician
Experience:  Exclusive Porsche only technician for over 25 years
71042349

Porsche 944: (1983 944) rear hatch glass has separated from

Customer Question

(1983 944) rear hatch glass has separated from mldg at top near roof. When hatch is closed the glass is approx 1/8" higher than mldg, leaving an open gap to the interior. When hatch is open, the glass returns to it's proper position. Q1, are the hinges adjustable? Q2, might the hinges be the source of the separation? How can this be corrected? All other seals and mldgs. side and bottom are well seated and sealed.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 1 year ago.

porscheguru :

Hi, how are you today?

Customer:

Hope you can help. Slow on the keyboard

porscheguru :

no problem.e too!

porscheguru :

The 944 rear hatch glass was notorious for having the glass/frame seperation.

porscheguru :

Dependiung on how bad it is, you can try to make it better

porscheguru :

You asked if the hinges were adjustable and yes they are but the adjustment will not correct the seperation

Customer:

Understand

porscheguru :

You can try to make it better and if you take the glass off of the body and flip it, with the right adhesive and patience, youight be able to make it much better than it is now

porscheguru :

Because if youuy from a salvage yard, you could be nin the same boat!

porscheguru :

if you buy typo

porscheguru :

Do you have a standard caulk gun?

Customer:

once we remove the hatch and reseat and reseal, should the frame overlap the glass or butt evenly against it?

porscheguru :

i SAM BNOT 100% SURE WHAT YOU ARE MEANING BUT THEW FRAME AND THE WINDSHIELD SORRY CAPS LOCK

porscheguru :

Hang

porscheguru :

I an noit sure of what you mean exactly but the frame and the glass can only adhere in one spot. I would recommend cleaning it as best as possible. Avoid chemicals/solvents as it might just loosen the glue and never dry. If you just try to scrfape off what you can, I think that is best

porscheguru :

caulk gun?

porscheguru :

You will buy windshield adhesive from a parts store. It will adhere anythiong as long as it is clean and it is black

Customer:

We just don't no what the original configuration was regarding the window frame and the glass. Can you find a picture?

porscheguru :

Short shelf life sealed let alone open so plan on using it all for this job. You might need two tubes

porscheguru :

Can I send it later this evening?

Customer:

Sure, ill be counting on it. Will any further communication on this subject be xtra charge?

porscheguru :

No, same chat. I will try to get this done earlier if I can, thanks!

porscheguru :

http://bit.ly/YAq5aU

porscheguru :

Look at this tutorial I found for you and do you have any suggestions?

porscheguru :

http://bit.ly/11EJiXG

porscheguru :

Here is another great one

porscheguru :

Can you download these tutoriuals?

Customer:

Well, I have only now been able to resume my research with your effort and assistance. I believe that the only thing that would satisfy my need to know would be an original discription from a 1983 porsche 944 factory repair manual. Your tutorials are helpful but lack professional integrity. Sorry

Customer:

Should I grade you now or give you the final word?

porscheguru :

Hang on, I have access to factory information but it is not going to show anywhere how to repair the seperation.

porscheguru :

I don't undertsand why you would think it lacks professional integrity?

porscheguru :

So I take it you are grading me poorly? I am confused?

Customer:

The tutorials were do it your-selfers and the examples were questionable as to year and model.

porscheguru :

But the glass arrangement is going to be the same for basically all of those cars. Believe me I owned 8 944s and had some seperation at that time but nothing as it has become as the cars have aged. I can only give you instructions on how to take the rear glass of and that can be real vague if it still exists electronically. Of course those are do it your selfers. I just wanted to put some instructions on a physical doument you could download because if the link ever was bad, then at least you would still have the info

porscheguru :

The factory wants you to buy a new window. They do not have instructions on how to fix the glass/frame.

porscheguru :

Is there anything else I can help you with? I have a ton of experience on these cars. I still think the info I have provided will help you immensley once you get the back glass out and can see up close what is going on

porscheguru :

OK, well good luck

Customer:

I guess I was hoping for the factory recommended steps first, then improvise as seen fitting to me. Kind of like pricing the new part first, before buying the used part. Your stated ownership does not make you an expert dismantler. However I would have to grade you GOOD for your sincere effort. The steps on the tutorial will suffice, but I sure would like to have compared them to factory instructions. I still have questions.

porscheguru :

OK, you were kind of freaking me out as the rear seperation was the same for all of those cars. Even back to the original 924, the glass was basically the same. The 944 got the rubber spoiler but underneath it is still the same

porscheguru :

I thought you were going to give me a bad grade but I still thought my advise was good.

porscheguru :

Can you compile the questions you would like to ask? Although I am an JA expert, my daughter needs a ride desperately and I must drive her. How about a little later tonight?

porscheguru :

OK, I will be back in a little bit, thanks

Customer:

Q1. Can the glass be resealed in the area of separation from the frame without removing the glass from the entire frame? I will have little or no problem removing the entire hatch from the car, those instructions are fairly clear. Q2. If I were to order a new glass window, would it include the attached aluminum frame? I suppose that's a question for a Porsche Dealer; But you may know.

porscheguru :

OK, I am a dealer tech for the past 3 decades. Only Porsche and I worked on these when they were new. I know ownership does not make one an expert but my background actually does. To your answers:

porscheguru :

Q1: You can try to reseal the frame but it will not be as good if you take it off and strip it and then reglue it. I don't know if this is a daily driver or just a once in a while drive car. If you can have dry storage, really consider taking the glass out. Drop the lateral trim on the headliner in the back. I think you might have to slice the headliner to gain access to the hinges if they have never been touch. Use a "Sharpie" fine point if possible and mark the hinges before removal. If you must get this done in a hurry, then yes it is possible. i would not use JB weld but I would use my original suggestion of windshield glue. It is extremely strong and durable. You will need some of the bigger handheld spring clamps you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. You still might have a problem getting a good clamp of the frame to the glue. Where there is a will, there is a way. If that is your only good choice, then I would try it.

porscheguru :

Q2: Yes to question 2 but you will have to transfer over some parts. Here is the parts listing http://bit.ly/Vl3pEa

porscheguru :

You will have the original glass upside down on a work area and the new glass. You transfer parts slowly and place them either on the new glass or in the location where it will be installed. It is actually easy. It is one of those things where you realize how easy it is after you do it.

porscheguru :

Tell me what you think?

Customer:

Dlr. tech for 3 decades! Now that gets my attention and confidence. My Q. recorded at 10:44 am yesterday was stated wrong. Now that I have seen the parts list I was refering to #2 on the list; "trim". Does that part overlap the glass or butt even to the glass? And I assume that the trim snaps to the frame somehow.

porscheguru :

Actually into 4 decades if you think about it, It has been a loing time since I did that job but I do remember I had to grind the tips of a pair of old needle nose pliars to remove this strange little nut. That is how the pieces are assembled. There are small fasteners.

porscheguru :

Do you see #9 in the catalog?

Customer:

Yes

porscheguru :

That is the "slottedZ" nut I was talking about to grind the pliars tip down

porscheguru :

slotted typo

Customer:

What about my Q. regarding the final fit of trim part #2

porscheguru :

Look at #2 at the corners. The slotted nuts hold it down oin the ends and throughout the length. The quantity required is 12 so there are quite a few.

Customer:

It is a metal trim mldg about 1" wide

porscheguru :

It has studs in it for the slottred nuts

Customer:

You are giving me installation instructions which will come in handy, But I am more interested in how the final finished product appears where the trim meets the glass. Can you find out if it just touches the glass or overlaps the edge of the glass. I need a visualization.

porscheguru :

I am going to have to find a picture if one exists. maybe we will have a 944 roll in today! Not likely but you never know. Can you send me a picture of the area you are concerned with so maybe I will know right away what you are talking about.

porscheguru :

include the linki to this chat and email to experts@pearl.com and they will send me whatever picture youy have

Customer:

I will have that done in about 30 mins.

porscheguru :

OK,se you then!

Customer:

I think and hope you may have gotten something; I don't know much about sending pictures. did you receive anything?

porscheguru :

Not yet. If you clicked on that email and included the lionki to the chat, it goes to a moderator which in turn will forward that to me. So I will tell you when I get something.

Customer:

I have 4 or 5 pictures. on my cell phone. To simplify send me your email or cell phone#

porscheguru :

They will not allow us to interact that way for good reason. The software will remove email addresses and phone numbers but no worries. if you sent it to Experts@Pearl.com then I will eventually get the pics

Customer:

Heads up, I sent those pics to experts at approx 12:30.

porscheguru :

OK, nothing yet. Sometimes it takes awhile.

Customer:

Thanks for all your time

porscheguru, Porsche technician
Experience: Exclusive Porsche only technician for over 25 years

You are welcome. I will get back to you as soon as I get the pictures