Roman
Roman, Porsche Mechanic
Experience:  over 20 years in German Auto repair industry
35071616

2004 cayenne: steering fault when I open the door

Customer Question

I get a steering fault when I open the door in 2004 Cayenne S. The Battery has 12.2V without load, what could be the problem ?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Roman replied 4 years ago.

Roman :

Hello , here to try and help you to understand what may be going on .

Roman :

does this one have 2 batteries? One under the seat and one under the rear trunk area? check it out. minimum battery voltage is 12.6v I would say that battery is weak

Customer :

The battery under the driver seat wont slide out, it seems to be in some sort of groove. any ideas ?

Roman :

how is it going ?

Roman :

Yes after removing the 2 hold down brackets, grab by the handle and lift, wiggle and pull forward up and out. Sorry but the system did not alert me to your reply yesterday I just happened to come and manually check. Let me know how you are doing.

Roman :

after replacing the battery erase all of the faults and adapt the throttle then try to restart and re check the faults

Customer :

Sorry, I had some issues with this web site and I can't see the thread history.

Customer :

Anyway, I don't think battery has anything to do with it although it is a little weak. It may be the result of me inserting key and draining the battery a little bit. I replaced the batteries and the problem still persists. I suspect maybe the ECU is gone somehow. I am going to take the car to the dealer to get it fix.

Customer :

Thank for your help but I don't think the answer you provided was relevant. I was hoping someone can tell me why steering fault would show up and some past experience in dealing with it.

Roman :

that is fine. but todays cars must have proper battery voltage all the time . a low battery can cause many problems it is always the first check in any diagnosis. now you will have to read out the faults which are logged to complete diagnosis.

Roman :

are you sure that there is not 2 batteries ? the early 2004 cayennes have 2 batteries.