Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My battery is flat and I cannot get the bonnet up (1998, 911)

Customer Question

Hi. My battery is flat and I cannot get the bonnet up (1998, 911). How can I open the bonnet to get to the battery?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello

there should be an emergency cable release thats tucked away in the wheelarch

like this:
graphic

another option is to get power into the footwell fusebox by pulling out the red tab and attaching a battery like this:

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After naming the appropriate model and getting all the gear to connect to the suggested place, I was dissapointed not to find this connection point at all. I hope there is another way to open it. Pls send me 100% correct info.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello

another option to get power into the car is by using a battery charger with a cigarette lighter socket, you'll need to leave it hooked up for at least 20 mins before trying the bonnet latch

graphic

if you look on the fusebox diagram the pull out point I mentioned earlier should be on fusebox D no 10
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You. Unfortunately I do not have the "red tab" you mentioned. Do battery chargers come with the cigarette lighter fitting or do I have to buy a converter socket?

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello

some chargers do come with the suitable adaptor lead that plugs into the charger like this:

graphic

however its not a standard fitting so check its part of the package