PorscheDoc
PorscheDoc, Independent Porsche shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

2006 porsche cayenne s: following codes..p0301..a p0304 cylinder

i have a 2006 porsche cayenne s with the following codes. p0302, p0300 (multiple misfire detected) p0301 cylinder 1 misfire and a p0304 cylinder 4 misfire.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,I'm still waiting for an answer for my Porsche question.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  PorscheDoc replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

The most common failure item in this case is the ignition coil. Your vehicle has one coil per cylinder, and they're installed across the top of each valve cover. Yours like have the part number 948 602 104 01, 02, 03 or 04. All of these are older version coils. The new updated number ends in 08. Best course of action here is to replace all 8, since they are a known failure item. They retail for $50.50 each, and I recommend either original equipment from the dealer, or Beru-branded coils only.
Experience: 20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response to my question. But I'm not sure if that's the answer to the question I was looking for. Because, I've already swapped out cylinder one and cylinder four to see if it was a coil problem. One coil being bad and one being good. To see if that made a difference. And when I did the error code still kept coming up on the bad cylinder. I'm not a mechanic. But it makes sense to me to try it that way and see if that was the problem. Thank you,
Ok, meaning you replaced with new, or swapped from cylinder to cylinder to see if the misfire followed the suspected bad coil?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I swapped out a coil from a cylinder that wasn't reading a misfire (cyl 5). For one that was reading as a misfire. (cyl 1). I still got the same error on cyl. 1. And no error on cyl. 5. Hope that helps.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

And so currently, after resetting fault codes, and driving, you're getting P0301 back, and experiencing a tangible misfire, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, That's correct
are you comfortable with attempting to swap injectors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I think I might have to grin and bare the wrath of the porche dealer. Thanks anyway for your help.
Well, dealer or Porsche-familiar European independent shop. Often the indy shops spend a bit more time and care with tough diagnostic problems.