PorscheDoc
PorscheDoc, Independent Porsche shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.

Porsche Boxster S How do I open the hood to replace the battery

Customer Question

How do I open the hood to replace the battery when the battery is dead and the hood latch will not open on a Porsche Boxster 2000?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  PorscheDoc replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

You will need a battery charger or set of jumper cables. Open your fuse panel at the lower part of the A-pillar, near where your right foot would be if you were sitting in the car. You'll see a red tab in the fuse panel. Push it in, and it will then pop out, and connect the positive cable to this like so:

graphic

Then connect the negative to a good ground, such as the door catch on the body.

This will give you enough juice to pop the hood release.
Experience: 20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Sorry I did not provide more background. My alarm is having an issue for some reason. I can start the car but the alarm will not turn off the latches. I have pulled out the fuse but this did not reset the alarm. The rocker switch is on in the dash and will not turn off.
Unfortunately, without being able to scan the alarm control module for the inevitable stored codes, I'm severely limited with the information I'm able to provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Is there any way to reset the alarm system back to normal?
The only way possible is with the PWIS (porsche scan tool) or with the Durametric scan tool: www.durametric.com

However, you can try one thing, although I can't guarantee this will work.

Make sure the battery is completely charged. Remove both battery cables from the battery itself, and touch the cables together for a few seconds. Don't worry, there won't be any spark or other scary event. This will discharge the capacitors in the various computers, and act as a "reset".

Reconnect the cables, positive first, and see if this has worked.