PorscheDoc
PorscheDoc, Independent Porsche shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.

2007 Carrera: My battery went completely dead...brand new..hood and I

I own a 2007 Carrera 4S and have not turned on the car in a month. My battery went completely dead. I use a brand new donor battery as per manual recommendation and follow every step to open up the hood and I still can't open the lid to replace the battery. What else can I do in order to replace the battery. Do I need to use an electric battery booster? Please help!

Rafael
Category: Porsche
Expert:  PorscheDoc replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me the exact steps you used to supply power to the fuse panel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I used a brand new donor battery with booster cables. I place positive from battery to positive at the fuse box then negative from battery to door chasis and still can not pop the lid
Unfortunately, that is the only way I have been able to supply power to the boot release. Other than making absolutely sure the clamps are secure onto both items, and possibly trying another ground point, I have no other suggestions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think that the boot release is actually frozen in place and that is why it not releasing it?
I really doubt that, at least from my experience. Still, let me get on a technician's group I belong to online, and see if I can find if other guys have run into this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With the donor battery attached as per owners manual, I press the botton on my key and it actually makes a sound as if it want to open but no release.
That definitely changes things quite a bit on my end. This car is going to have to go to a good independent Porsche shop or dealer so that they can attempt to get in using other methods that are all but impossible for me to relate. So with that, I really have no answer for you. If you'd like to keep your deposit in the Justanswer site for a future question, that is welcomed, or if you desire a refund, I can alert the moderator here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I finally manage to replace the battery, however, as soon as turned on the ignition a warning came on saying PSM Failure. What does this mean? Did I do something wrong while replacing the battery?
Have you driven the car yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not yet. Should I drive the car to see if goes away? I noticed that during the replacement of the battery, I connected the negative terminal first instead of the positive. Would that make a difference?
No, you sequence is not overly important. The PSM system will go through a selt-test within the first few hundred yards of driving. The light should go out pretty quickly, even before you leave your driveway.
Experience: 20 years of experience working with Porsche. Independent European shop owner and technician.