Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heat pump for in ground pool is running but not heating.

Customer Question

My heat pump for in ground pool is running but not heating. Heating indicator light only turns on intermittently
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: Crystal pools, Hayward unit
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have had the pool for 2 years but rarely used the heater. Water temp is 59, air temp 59 heater set at 85
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

If the compressor inside the heat pump unit is running but not heating, either the system has a refrigerant leak and the compressor is cycling on its low pressure control, or the pool water flow through the heat pump heat exchanger is blocked and the heat pump is cycling on its head pressure control.

Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

If you do your own pool service you can service the sand filters to make sure they are not blocking the water flow through the heat pump.

Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

When you have what you need from me, its time to rate my work in order to close the question.