Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

My spa manual says I need to prime my pump, but there are no

Customer Question

My spa manual says I need to prime my pump, but there are no instructions on how to do that.
JA: Who manufactured the spa?
Customer: Leisure bay
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 4 months ago.

Priming the pump just means to allow any air that is trapped in pump to escape. Open the skirting on the spa to expose the pump then loosen the union on the front of the pump and allow water to leak out for 10 seconds then re-tighten the union and turn the spa power back on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I know which union to loosen? There are several tubes and pipes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm at work now, but I will take some photos tonight.

The pump that supplies water to the heater is the one you want mainly, but you can do this to any pump you find inside.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was traveling for work and haven't been able to get to thus. Please see the attached pictures and tell me what to disconnect. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please let me know if the photos came through.
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 3 months ago.

OK you have the pump on left side and in the front center of the pump you will see the Black union that screws onto the front of pump. Loosen this union so as to let water leak out for 10 seconds or so then re-tighten the union and turn the breaker back on and the pump should start to push the water through the system. If you cant get that union off you can loosen the white union on the left side of the control box in picture 2.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried priming the pump 3 times by loosening the union you pointed out to me. It does not appear to have worked. When I turn the breaker back on, I am getting a Pr on the display screen, but that code is not in my owner's manual. FYI, the message I got when I first contacted you was HL which the manual says means a significant difference between temperature sensors has been detected. This could indicate a flow problem. And the action required was check water level then prime the pumps if needed. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I let it rest about 15 minutes and checked on it. It was buzzing. The buzz sounds like it's coming from the pump. I pressed the jet button and it stopped buzzing. Pressing it again starts the buzzing again.

The PR means prime and that is fine it means it is starting up in normal mode. Now that you have a buzzing sound that means the pump starting capacitor is not working. This is located on top of the motor under a bump cover or in the back of the motor inside the wiring plate. You would need to remove the pump from the spa and find the capacitor and replace it with a new one of the exact same number. Now with that said, it is most likely the capacitor but it may be a bad pump as well (frozen shaft) in this case you would need to have motor re-built or buy a new complete pump.

The OH code you got was overheat and that is usually a bad high limit or thermostat, but since the pump is not working that could be the reason for that code as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it sounds like time to call in a professional.

Well that is up to you. I can be a pain to get the pump out of that location but replacing the capacitor is easy.