poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have a 1997 hot tub that wont heat. Error code is SP6.

Customer Question

I have a 1997 hot tub that wont heat. Error code is SP6. There is no power to the heater. pressure switch shows continuity, hi limit shows continuity. Two out of three relays that carry power to the two phases of the heater do not show a voltage reading. The third relay has 230V across the bars (test bars, not the lugs, if this makes sense).
JA: Who manufactured the hot tub?
Customer: No reference can be found anywhere. It must have had several modifications. Topside says White Srings Spas.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I recently paid a pool guy $140 and he did not know much more then I. I am a structural engineer, not ideal for situation, but some electrical scill
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can send pictures of the control box cover and control one-line diagrams. I read on one blog that SP6 refers to a defective topside. Also, can I bridge the relays somehow to isolate the problem. MY understanding is that the heater is controlled by hi-limit, temperature, and pressure. I should be able to isolate the problem. Have bridged hi-limit, have bridged pressure, not sure how to bridge temparature.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Cole replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, I'm Cole. I think I can help. It sounds like your on the right track. If you can not see how to bridge one of the safety devices i would just see if you have 120 volts coming in one side and not out of it. that should at least show you where you powers is stopping.