poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I have replaced most everything with my filter system which

Customer Question

I have replaced most everything with my filter system which has a whisper Flo 1.5 hp motor and a Hayward DE filter (replaced recently motor, complete filter housing and cartridge and selector switch)
The system will run for about 15 minutes then the pressure goes up and water will not circulate. I have cleaned filter several times even to the point of a mild acid bath. I can back flush and it will run again for 15 or so minutes and the problem repeats itself. Local pool guy recommended the pump replacement which has not fixed the problem.
Any suggestions?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 3 months ago.

Is the pump a 2 speed or variable speed? I need to know the SF number on the pump motor to determine the true horsepower. The DE Filter only requires 2 gpm per sq. ft. of filter area. Not only will the filter pressure go up quickly but a too large pump will also "bag the grids" or damage the cartridges. Be sure you have the correct amount of media (DE or Fiber) as not having that in the filter will also cause the pressure to rise that quick.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pump is single speed. Don't see SF, however, it does say THP of 1.65
I have approx 5 pounds of DE in the filter

I just saw this without my answer I placed the other day.. I am so sorry for the delay. I don't know what happened. However 1.65 HP is very high for a DE Filter. I need to know the model of the filter so I can tell what the filter area is and calculate the gallons of flow it can handle as well as calculate the DE amount to be sure it is enough.