Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a Cal-Spas hot tub and I am getting a strange code

Customer Question

I have a Cal-Spas hot tub and I am getting a strange code that I have never seen before
JA: Who manufactured the hot tub?
Customer: Cal-Spas
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just would like to decipher the code
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here's a picture of my control panel with the message displayed:
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 7 months ago.

There was no picture uploaded. Can you tell me what the error code reads?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's 3 sets of dashes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the control panel is unresponsive

That is watchdog... This is an error code that can indicate a few different things, but mostly it means that the temp sensor and high limit sensor are out of sync. I would replace both the sensors first before trying any other things as that is the most common issue. It could be a bad pump or bad circuit board but try the sensors first.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had just replaced them a few months ago and the tub was working fine until a shut it off to drain and refill it

OK well then you need to check the pump that supplies water to the heater as you may have an air lock or a bad pump, if there is no water flowing then the water in the heater housing can overheat and cause a imbalance with the sensors.

Also check the pressure switch on the heater housing and see if you jump across the two wires on top of the pressure switch to see if it will reset topside.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I'll take a look, another thing to note is that the code comes up as soon as it powers on, it appears and nothing else happens

Well try the pressure switch and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I'm finding is that my spa doesn't have any pressure switches

All spas have either a pressure or a flow switch on or near the heater housing, it is designed to detect flow of water. The pressure switch will look something like this...https://www.acepools.com/products/tecmark-4037p-universal-spa-pressure-switch?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1203025159&gclid=CjwKEAiA9s_BBRCL3ZKWsfblgS8SJACbST7DCgsF_PyM8mdTJYJ31Sl_9eUt_h3KX2V3mgslB4xUkhoCAHrw_wcB

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have 2 temperature sensors one before and one after the heater. There is nothing plumbed into the water flow system. I have looked at the control board schematic and there is not a provision for a pressure or flow sensor. It's very odd to me. This is a new control board that I replaced last year

Can you take a couple of pictures of the heater area and control box and post them here so I can see the area?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll do it as soon as I get home from work

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The app will not attach the photo for some reason

OK so you have the two black sensors. I would power down the spa, un-plug the sensors and check the copper pins that are on the board, if one is bent or broken you will not get a reading. Be sure that the sensors are tight down on the heater housing. I have seen these sensors be bad from the beginning. Lastly would mean that the circuit board is not registering the sensors and the board could be bad. I would try another set of sensors first though.