Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I've got a Whirlpool Pearl Andorra bath. All breakers are on

Customer Question

I've got a Whirlpool Pearl Andorra bath. All breakers are on and I have power. When I Attempt to start it, I push the start button and it turns on and immediately stops. I brushed the water inlet and couldn't see any debris. Not sure if this can be removed to clean a screen, if there is one at that location. Any ideas why it turns on and in about a quarter second turns off?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 15 years old and not used much. Its a model 135743-7. Has worked very well until now and acted up as i described all of a sudden.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Sure.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just need a description of what might be causing the problem. Then I can zero in on getting it working. Is it problem with dirt or is it a mechanical problem that needs further replacement parts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This sounds like a problem with the air switch. You (or a plumber/electrician) will have to access the pump to check out the switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Must the air switch be removed and checked. Must the whole pump be removed to get at the switch? Do you have a diagram showing the pump and where air switch is located? Procedures would be appreciated. If I remove it, how can I can table-check the mechanism? Can it simply be mechanically cleaned out or clean the electrical connections? Must it be removed and replaced? Do you have a diagram showing the pump and where air switch is located? Procedures would be appreciated.
Expert:  Rick replied 30 days ago.

It looks like this model has a removable skirt. Pump should be on the end opposite the drain. If you don't have a removable skirt then you should have an access panel to get to the pump. There is no info available on the switch. It's probably on the top of the pump and will have a small diameter tube connected to it. You can bypass the switch lead to the pump motor to determine if the issue is with the pump or the switch. If the pump runs then the switch is the problem. There's a chance the switch tube is not securely attached which might cause the problem you describe. I can send you a link to the manual but it isn't much help

Expert:  Rick replied 30 days ago.

Here's the manual

Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

How did this work out?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
This doesn't have an air switch. There is no tube connected to the pump. Its electronic with the control on top right of tub. there are two ribbon wires; one connects to the water level switch and the other to the electronic timer switch. I tried bypassing the switch and pump still runs a split second and quits. I checked the inlet of the pump and there is no hair or dirt on the impeller. I believe I need a new pump with attached electronic control mechanism. Its an ITT Marlow, model R100VS-4-C, Spec no. 0029E00C. Its 120v, 11.5 amps, 1 ph, 1 HP, 50/60 HZ. Any idea where I can get a new assembly that will inter-fit with my present system? Would it help to send you a photo?
Expert:  Rick replied 20 days ago.

I'd check with local plumbing supply houses. Tubs are (almost) always sourced locally so the local supply house that sells or sold this brand is your best bet for parts.