Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

Our 3-year old Pentair IntelliChlor iC40 Salt Cell has

Customer Question

Our 3-year old Pentair IntelliChlor iC40 Salt Cell has steadily required more an more salt (up to 4000ppm) even though we regularly clean it. How do you know when the cell needs to be replaced?
JA: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 purchased in 2013, about 3 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't mind hiring someone, but don't want to unnecessarily replace a good unit.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Anything less than 3800 ppm and the red "low salt light" is on and the green" cell working" light is off. This is much higher than than the 3400 ppm listed as "ideal" on the cell.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 11 days ago.

When salt cells start to age out they "think" the salt level is actually lower than what it really is. I would recommend you take the water to a professional that uses a meter to test the salt level and see what the salt level really is. Many times we find salt levels at over 5,000ppm but the cell has aged (still works) and is need of replacement. What we usually do to limp through the end of year is to increase the % level of chlorine as opposed to adding more salt.

IF the salt tests where it should than you are having a dilution event. This could be either from a slide that is attached to a water hose, or you have a leak in the pool. But at 3 years old and if your pool is 25,000 gallons to 40,000 gallons it's about time to replace the cell.

I hope this has helped you and if I can help further please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Our pool is 17,000 gallons and, until recently, had a 50 gal/day leak thru the skimmer (now fixed), per your suggestion.During the rainy season in SouthWest Florida, we see around 200 gal/week of rain, most of which exits the pool via the overflow.Also, in the last few days, the 10-Amp slo-blow fuse "blew", with signs of molten solder exiting under the fuse cap.Does any of this help your diagnosis?
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 10 days ago.

The first step is to rule out the cell aging or the board by having the water tested to compare the salt levels to be sure the salt IS actually low. That way if it is, you may still be looking at a leak.