poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I have an inground pool, 20x45 and currently have a 10 year

Customer Question

i have an inground pool, 20x45 and currently have a 10 year hayward heater. I also have a 6000 sq ft house using a 265000 boiler that is also 7 years old. We have 11 heat zones in the house. Is there any way I can combine the 2?
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: The pool in not manufactured but a design build concrete pool
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I might
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only 2 of us live in the house and we only use 1 bed room and 2 bathrooms.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 20 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm sorry but the 2 systems are incompatible. The chlorine in your pool would destroy your home's heating system. You could fill the home's heating system with anti-freeze then shut down the parts of the house you don't use. You'd also have to make some provisions to keep any plumbing in the unused parts of the house from freezing but the best approach for that would likely require an onsite inspection.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was hopping you would give me a more complete answer and have a better understanding of the situation? Your answer in incomplete and not correct. You are correct the chlorine will damage boiler if the water comes in direct contact with the boiler pipes, but with a heat exchanger or as it sometimes called a heat Swapper, it will work. But the next question is, would I need to run the boiler year round, at the out put, because of the pool heat? But I understand there is a boiler that will adjust the energy usage by the need for heat. I was hoping you or your people would have knowledge of that?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't want to spend more money unless i know you really have the correct information and way to do it
Expert:  Rick replied 20 days ago.

Conventional flat plate heat exchangers (the type that typically used with a hot water heating system) are not designed to handle the volume of water required to heat your pool. What you're proposing simply is not done because it is not practical. Using separate units to heat the house and the pool is more effective/efficient. That's not to say it couldn't be done but it would not be cost effective. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish by doing this.

Expert:  Rick replied 20 days ago.

If you're purpose is to save on fuel costs; the modifications required to do what you're describing would cost far more than the fuel costs you'd save. You'd never recoup the expense.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
here is the web site. So as you will see it can be done. But the second part of the question still need to be answered so as to make it energy effective.
Expert:  Rick replied 20 days ago.

So you're going to spend $5k+ minimum (including installation) to save a few dollars on fuel costs because your household boiler is a bit more efficient? To answer your earlier question yes the boiler would have to run year round if that's what you plan on using to heat the pool. This might make some sense if you were starting from scratch or needed to replace the pool heater. But as long as you have a working pool heater it's not cost effective.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not interested in a call. I do not think you have the knowledge on my subject.
Expert:  Rick replied 17 days ago.

The call notice is automatic I don't have control over it. Since you won't tell me your motivation for doing this I can only assume it's to save on fuel costs. In which case making this change is not cost effective. Like I said before it will take forever to recoup the $5k plus it will cost to install your heat exchanger. That's my opinion based on 40+ years in the business.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My interest in do this is fuel cost saving, conservation and future equipment cost. When you were telling me it wouldn't work at all because of the chlorine, I started to call and google other people and organizations. I found it could work and could be very cost effective. The heating / service contractor I used in the past said a energy effecent modulating home boiler would be very cost effective, may even pay for itself in a year or two. My swimming pool service / builder said the heat Swapper does an excellent cost effective method of pool heating and he always recommends swapper to any of his cutomers with home boilers. I was hoping when i came to JustAnswers I would get this type of answer.
Expert:  Rick replied 17 days ago.

All the people you talked to have a conflict of interest in that they can make a good chunk of money installing this. There's no way this pays for itself in a year or 2. You'd have to save $5k+ in a yaer or 2 I doubt you even spend that much on fuel in several years. I didn't say it wasn't efficient I said the difference in the efficiency between what you have now and the new heat exchanger is not that significant and the fuel cost savings would take a very long time to offset the installation cost many year even decades. So none of what the other folks you talked to contradicts this fact. You can listen to whoever you want. I have no dog in this fight.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i spend 8400 in 2 years. The heating contractor is retired and not doing any work and the pool guy I have knowing and trusted for 35 years
Customer: replied 17 days ago.