Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

Mostly a noob and not an electrician, working on 110 outlet

Customer Question

mostly a noob and not an electrician
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: working on 110 outlet that we know has power, so it's the 110 plug or the tub itself, as it won't get power at all
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.....IF......it's novicely simple, or easy to grasp, and I can get parts at this time of the day/night....; )
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's all I can oberve, I know how to trouble shoot in a general sense, and the problem is not the outlet, as it powers other things, so it's the plug, cord, connection or the tub itself
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

Is the plug a GFI plug/cord?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is the $24, on top of the $30?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

The plug on the gfi is 99% of the time the issue.

If you have 120v at outlet....but NOT 120v at the opposite end of the cord where it wires to board....then you need a new cord.

Do not click for any extra pmt....you do not need a call

Billy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
by "plug" (noob) you mean the end with the three "male" prongs and the red and yellow buttons?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

correct...it is the switch inside the male prong assembly that goes bad.

You can buy a new cord with gfi and change with only unhooking 3-4 wires.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would the cord that came with the tub not have the GFI at the other end, or possibly not have?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

The cord usually comes with gfi for water bearing equipment.

If it does NOT then it must be wired into a gfi outlet like in a bathroom.

It must have a gfi one way or the other. Or you can wire with regular plug and use THIS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, just so we're clean and clear, at the north end resides the outlet I told you I know is "hot" and the male prongie thing with the yellow and red buttons that you said is the likely issue. At the south end is where the cord connects to the tub. In your last post, were you north or south (I feel like I was just talking C.B. lingo from back in the day.....good buddy!!!)
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

if you have a couple minutes I will draw up something.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do but I think it just clicked for me......the regular cord would just be the prongie thingies (north) connected back to the tub (south) as the one is now, but the home depot thingie thing would go between the new cords prongies, and the outlet??? Oooo OOOO MR> Kotter!!!!! you're probably too young, I need to get more recent with my humor...
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

you are correct!..Use a gfci..or a regular plug with the home depot switch.

Attached is rudimentary drawing.

And I would love to retort to Kotter comment about a rubber hose but I must watch behavior on the site:)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Awesome and I feel you. Can you imagine a time where corporate big wigs thought that instant message was just a complete waste of time, and had no legitimate business purposes.....a "virtual water cooler" it was called. Until me and my team changed all of that!!!!!! LOL, that's a humble brag, because now I have to go back to being dumb.....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a) just to make sure, 120=110 and you don't have to go into the garden of eden explanation on that, just want to sanity check b) how to determine if "120 is there" on the south end.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just know if it was that fat dryer plug, we wouldn't be having this conversation....dad put the fear of god in me on that deal... ;p
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

120v is very generic....115 - 124v = 120v in this world

Put a meter on the black and white connections in tub to determine voltage present

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, so the meter tells you if it's "drawing" or something like that....I have the meter but you're going to have to tell me what to set it to, etc etc. etc. Also, is a cord of this type going to be gettable at home depot, or no?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

Yes the cord will be available at home improvement stores.

Meter; set to AC volts~ 250 and below....

Red meter lead to black wire

black meter lead to white wire

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the display will give me somewhere in the range, or not move, yah?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

exactly.

Something tells me you already know the basics but wanted 100% confirmation...

Good to be sure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
actually no, I'm just smart, want this working NOW before the tub goes cold and therefore determined. But with pawpaw's assitance I did fix the dryer as my only other victory in this space, but I had the dryer "billy" in my ear for that one. Saved a shit ton of $#$###$$$$ though! gimme 10 or so minutes and as Arnold would say "I'll be back". Over?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done some G.C. type work but always deferred to the electrician and the plumber. Fire and water where they aren't wanted are NO GOOD.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

Understood.

If you need more info just return and reply.

Once you are all set just rate service at top of page to close question.

Billy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, billy. BAck to day one. dimension one serenade.....got the panel border all off and door is loose but appears to rotate on an invisible screw at the 12 o'clock position, am I needing to give it a little more oomph, or am I missing something to make it let loose?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

It is likely a lift and pull retainer.

Depending on age it could be a push compression fitting.

Try the "up and off" and if that fails give a bit more than moderate pressure straight out. I will be offline for a while but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this calls for the old billy baroole......oh....billy billy billy billy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
after learning how to correctly remove the panel (up and then out.....thank you sir). I leveraged said skill to then remove the CORRECT panel.....then I engaged pawpaw to help me figure out where to touch them there pointie thingies to inside that there big blue box.....and with the meter set on 200V, we rang in at 15.3 or thereabouts.....and this means.....the cord is bad just as you said, eh?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

that is correct.

You will be replacing the cord.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Billy, we're at the next level, through the looking glass......help me get to the four wires that I have to disconnect to get the old cord off of here, and I will rate you highly!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there, Billy? Trying to finish this out today.....
Expert:  Billy replied 2 months ago.

Have you located the end of the wire where it attaches in tub?