Cole, Salesman
Experience:  tech support, purchasing and sales at my family owned business.

Are you there? so you're a real person? I have an odessey

Customer Question

hello are you there?
JA: No. I'm the Pool Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Hi there, so you're a real person?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Pool Technician. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I have an odessey spa that is not heating. everything seems to be working properly. I took the filter out for now to see if that was causing a problem
JA: Who manufactured the spa?
Customer: its a dreammaker
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can get ahold of the parts I will.
JA: OK. Got it. The Pool Technician is ready to discuss your question in more detail after you submit a fully-refundable {price} deposit. Anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I don't have access to the spa now, it's dark out and I don't want to be out there messing around this time of evening. Once I submit payment, is he on call?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have an odyssey dreammaker spa that is not heating. It appears to be pumping and I have LED lights lit on the control panel. The pump button is lit and the down temperature button's LED is lit. It's not showing any error messages on it. I filled it up for the first time this season and its running but not heating above 81 degrees Fahrenheit.
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

Ok so everything works BUT it refuses to heat over 81F

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

This will be the temp sensor. It works but is out of calibration.

Are you familiar with replacing temp sensor?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Not really. Is there a way to test this before I replace it though? I'm not positive that it's just not the ambient temperature of the water that's 81 degrees.
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

You can tell by adding cold water....measuring heater amps...feeling the heater..

Fill with some cold water.....if it still takes it to 81 it is a sensor..

You can ohm the sensor to check accuracy. Let me get you a chart..

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
if the heater is warm, it would be the sensor? that makes sense.
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

see here

The beauty of ohming a sensor is the value should always correspond to a temp.

Like a sensor at 81 f should always be 27540 ohms.

Fill with cold..take sensor reading and see if heater kicks on..

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I do get the --- code upon startup. I didn't realize that was an error message
So I remove the two wires from the j6 connector and measure ohms across the wires? or the connector?
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

the triple dash is watch dog error...a sensor or limit has tripped as a safety precaution.

This can be by a sensor that doesnt read temp right and lets unit run too high.

With triple dash you will want to use the diagram and check the limits...and as far as testing..remove the wires from board and test across wires.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok, I should leave power on during this correct? and are there any other things to check while I'm there? How long am I allowed to ask questions for the 30 dollars I have paid? So far you have been very helpful and I appreciate it. I will check the sensor tomorrow. Is there a common part number that I can order or purchase locally at my spa store for this sensor?
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

you should be able to find at your local supplier as it is a very common part.

Whenever testing for ohms, power is always off.

You see on ohms, the battery in the meter sends its power out one lead and measures what comes back on the other. If 0 it means no battery power came back. If a number it represents the resistance the battery power had to go through to get a sensor warms or cools the resistance will match the chart I gave you (should)

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
whew, you're right haha. I could have messed up some stuff. One last question: If the sensor's resistance is correct to 81 degrees, and I have the temp of the spa set at 100, the most likely culprit is the sensor? The bad sensor is causing the disconnect?
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

Lets say the temp is 81 but the sensor reads 17490

The sensor "thinks" it is 100 degrees but it is not...if the ohms do not match the temp in chart = change sensor

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
thank you. I will check tomorrow and get back to you afterwards
Expert:  Billy replied 25 days ago.

You are very welcome and I wish you the best

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hi, I tested my sensor at the j7 test port with the 2 wires sticking out of the circuit board. I got a reading of 23.58 which isn't giving me the reading of 100 degrees, it's more along the lines of 88 degrees, which is still off. Do you think this is the part to replace? Is the temperature sensor the one on the left (behind the control box) or the one on the right? They look identical. I'm assuming one is the flow sensor?
Expert:  Billy replied 24 days ago.

I do not know which control panel you have, but is the sensor arrangement made into one plug?

Like Here

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have a balboa system. I tested at the j6 test port in the upper left corner, just to the left of the green tag. It has two prongs sticking out there. Take a look at the schematic and see if we are on the same sheet of music. It's an Odyssey Dreammaker spa. I also showed a pic of the heater with the two sensors on it. Is temp sensor on left or right?
Expert:  Billy replied 24 days ago.

The sensors should read the same at the same temp..what does the other read?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I only tested the one at the test j6 port. Those two sensors look identical, are they the same part number?
Expert:  Billy replied 24 days ago. is inflow and one is out flow. But do the same job just 2 different places

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok, so the schematic you sent is a bit different than the one I have. I did test at the j6 test port. Not totally sure that is where I need to be testing. But reading the schematic I have, I should be removing the j7 and j8 connectors and testing those two sensors on my heater, the inflow and outflow. One should be reading a correct temperature of 81 (once I get it heated back up again) and the other (the faulty one)should be reading something higher that corresponds with the 100 degrees that I have my control set to? Which one SHOULD be faulty? The inflow or the outflow?
Expert:  Billy replied 24 days ago. would simulate the heater is overheating which causes the watchdog alert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hey, I have the readings from my two temperature sensors. They were both pretty close to the same reading (31.18 and 31.46) My reading from the test port was 23.67
Which sensor is bad?
Expert:  Cole replied 19 days ago.

Hi there, I'm Cole. I see your last tech had to leave conversation but from what I have understood from your conversation I would replace both sensors. A lot of the time these balboa or gecko brand sensors are sold as a pair and that's what we do is replace both. If your narrowed down to the sensors like this just do them its usually not that expensive to purchase the pair.

Expert:  Cole replied 18 days ago.

this one does look like a single sensor so you could replace the outgoing one and test the tub if that does not work switch it to the other and re install the original good one back in its original location. :)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you have a part number for the correct sensors? I went to the Dreammaker website and could not find the sensors for sale, only the entire heating unit (that had sensors).
I was hoping not to "plug and play" sensors because I would need to partially drain tub in order to change them out and then fill it up to test it.
So start with the outflow first?
Expert:  Cole replied 18 days ago.

Ok so talking to my guys i need a different number. so there is either a white tag on the board itself or even a tag on a chip on the board. if i have those i can find out exactly what sensors. thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Cole replied 18 days ago.

if your unsure what numbers take some closeups of any tags you see on the board its self. thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Here ya go
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Why was I referred to someone else?
Expert:  Cole replied 16 days ago.

ok let me do some checking for you. are you asking why you got referred to me or to somebody new again?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Cole, it looked like you had referred me to someone else. Did you receive the 3 pictures?
Expert:  Cole replied 16 days ago.

no i am here to help. i did get the pictures. i sent them over to my guy i will let you know.