Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

My dolphin dionostic runs for about a minute and then stops

Customer Question

My dolphin dionostic runs for about a minute and then stops running.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The dolphin diagnostic is a pool cleaner
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 28 days ago.

The unit may shut down and most often does for 1 of two reasons. The first reason for shut down is that the impeller has debris clogging it preventing water flow. The impeller is located at the top of the unit and can be easily cleaned out by a homeowner. The plastic part on top twists and then pops out giving you access to the impeller. Be sure your power is off when attempting to clean. Likewise be sure the bag that collects dirt is clean also. Remove it and be sure that nothing has breached the protective cage inside.

None of the motor parts are serviceable by the homeowner. If a sensor picks up a problem within the motor unit it will shut down. In this case the unit will need to go to a service center closest to you for repair. When sending in you need to send the cleaner unit AND the transformer. The serial number is ***** inside the unit and you will need this to send in for repair or for any warranty service. This unit carries a 3 year warranty. It is one of the nicest cleaners on the market and Dolphin (Maytronics) is excellent in customer service. Their number is *****

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It's not the impeller. I even took the screw off of the impeller and pulled it to inspect under it and couldn't find anything there that would stop it from turning. I have been resurching this problem thru some blogs and have found that a lot of folks are having the same issues with their units. The overall response from the service pros is that the timer inside the transformer is failing. I'm also reading that it can be by passed by opening the transformer up and disconnecting the timer.
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 27 days ago.

IF you unit is under warranty you do not want to open the motor area or you will void the warranty. However, if not under warranty you can try this as a last resort before spending $$ on shipping and repairs if you are mechanically inclined. I have found that once a factory or authorized repair is done the unit can last for many years. I guess you could by pass and put the unit on an electrical timer if it is a timer and not a flow issue (bad flow sensor).