Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor

I'm wondering about the benefits of buying a salt water hot

Customer Question

I'm wondering about the benefits of buying a salt water hot tub system. Is it a lot more work to maintain? Will the salt water corrode the tub?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 27 days ago.

Salt water tub is a chlorine sanitizer as the salt makes the chlorine passively. IF you do not have heavy use in the tub it is easy to maintain, just adjust the ph often as it will always tend to be high with salt. There are more Total Dissolved Solids so watching the overall water balance (saturation index) so scale doesn't occur is important. The problem we had seen was more heater corrosion, and also if a leak occurred in the control area, where ever the salt water dripped it caused problems with rust and corrosion. Overall we were not pleased with the service results but liked the easy maintenance. Also consider the NEW Frog At Ease System. So far we are loving this extremely easy maintenance and soft water feel. Again, I don't consider the low chlorine or a low bromine and mineral system good for high use tubs.