Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

My pool water is very cloudy and no matter what we do, it

Customer Question

my pool water is very cloudy and no matter what we do , it doesn't clear up. we backwashed, cleaned the filter , put all the ususal chemicals in the water, but it hasn't helped
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 6 months ago.

Please tell me what type of filter media you use (sand, cartridge, DE, Zeolite)

Type of Pool (above ground/ in ground)

Hours of filter run time

Is pool milky and you can only see a few inches or can you see the bottom of pool

Total Alkalinity and Hardness level

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
earth filter, in ground pool. 24 hours on the run tme
yes, pool I milky. I cannot see the bottom of the pool at the deep end , but you can barely see the bottom at the shallow end,
we tested the water yesterday and everything was within the safe limits. I do not have the numbers. do you need me to do this now?

YOu said that you cleaned the filter. Did you take it apart and inspect the filter grids? If you have the smallest of tears in it the DE will enter the pool. Another way to tell is to turn the pool off overnight and see if the DE settles to the bottom of the pool. Milky is an indication of a filter problem and not a chemical problem..it's like a key word. Also take a glass of water out of the pool and let it sit overnight to see what forms on the bottom of the glass. Sometimes single cell algae will keep a pool cloudy but not green if it has been treated but the 20 - 30 ppm of chlorine needed to kill it not achieved. However my money bet is on a DE tear.