Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

I just bought a Balboa spa used it was complete drained and

Customer Question

I just bought a Balboa spa used it was complete drained and had to hook all the pipes back up . Filled full of water it works great just can not get heat to work. The heater only comes on when you turn jets on. Seems like there should be a pump to run at all times to move water and flow the heat can not understand how to make this tub work . Or did I get taken
JA: Who manufactured the spa?
Customer: Balboa Water group VS501Z PN 54379-03 that is all I could find that is on back of the cover for heat and all controls
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can fix it yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That is it heat does not stay on unless jet running they will only run 15 min if that and had a code fl and there is no water movement seems like there should be a pump to move the water other then the jets
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 2 months ago.

The heater usually works when the jets are on low speed for normal heating. The heat / jets should come on by thermostat control setting. Many tubs do not have a circulation pump for heat only which is a much smaller pump that runs 24 hours. The FL error is a flow error and the heater will not work as it believes there is not enough water flow to prevent the tub from over heating at the heater. FL errors are triggered by old or dirty filters, not enough water in tub, obstructions or flow rate below the required. The tub is not a Balboa, that is the equipment pack which is good to know for replacing control and heater parts. I would check your thermostat which will turn the pump on when heat is called. If that is good and it is still not heating see if your tub should have had a circ pump and it is missing OR it could be that your plumbing is not supplying the flow rate needed for jets in low speed. Check that the pump works in both high and low speed also.