poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I have a Jandy LRZE natural gas furnace, a few years old. it

Customer Question

I have a Jandy LRZE natural gas furnace, a few years old. it started throwing a FAULT-FUSELINK/FIELD so i traced, and I'm getting VAC everywhere except across the fuse link, so I replaced it it worked for about an hour with the new fuselink and then went out again. it was not really hot or anything i tried jumpering across the fuselink connectors, and the error cleared
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes, clear
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes one interesting note though i'm getting 119.5 volts at the incoming point but off the transformer, i'm getting 28.5 VAC, not 24 is that an acceptable range, or is it too high? could htat be blowing the fuselink?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: uh just what I said above
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i also checked the normal fuse, and it has not blown. the new fuselink did not last long enough for it to really be a problem with the filters, and they seem clear from what i could see (and it worked fine up to two days ago).
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

28.5 VAc is OK, within acceptable range. If the fuse link just above and outside the burners keeps blowing then you need to clean the heat exchanger and/or check for downdraft or other venting issues.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no downdraft or venting issue; nothing has changed i its environment. I checked by the burners, and the area looked clear. I also removed the vent cover and looked inside, and there was minimal leaf debris (typical for what I've seen before). Is there somewhere else I should check?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also made sure the ground was clear around the furnace, and there are no obstructions in the vent holes around the sides
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also - is the fusible link blown-and-done? In other words, should I order a new one (a third one) now, or will the existing one work once I deal with whatever the issue is?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

The link is a one and done device. The only time it will blow is if it gets too hot. I listed the reasons it might get too hot in my first answer. You have to take the unit apart and check/clean the heat exchanger. We I say vent I mean the exhaust (vent).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I be able to see see and clear issues by removing the vent cover on top, or is there more to disassemble to get at what I need to?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or, do I need to pull out the burners and check them too? I took some photos and they look clear.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Dirty burners would cause delayed ignition not this problem. You might be able to get the all of the fins in the heat exchanger by removing the top enclosure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cleaned off the heat exchanger as best I could with a shop vac. It looks very clear now. It was only some rust chips in there before.I have to wait to try again until Monday, when my new fusible link arrives. I'll send you an update then.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

How did it go?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same issue. It ran for at least an hour, but sometime overnight, it faulted again on the fuselink.Nothing has changed about the environment that should be causing a downdraft, but I'm not sure how to rule that out.I did notice that the flames are very high and active after it starts (while it was working); it seems to be putting out a ton of heat. I have a very short video I will upload shortly.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Did you clean the heat exchanger?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
as I mentioned in an earlier reply. It was pretty clear before, and now it's spotless.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Then if there are no issues with the flue and the exchanger is spotless the only other possibility is that it's over fired. You need to put a gauge on the burner manifold to check the gas pressure. You need a gauge that reads in inches WC (water column)