Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I need to drain my pool and spa but I don't know how to set

Customer Question

I need to drain my pool and spa but I don't know how to set the valves so it doesn't drain through the skimmer.
JA: Who manufactured the spa?
Customer: Actually, I figured out the spa by accident. I have a Pentair system that was installed about 10 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you today. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your pool. With out knowing exactly what you have per say here is the general information for draining your pool.

1. A small submersible pump, one that can pump at a good rate, can be dropped in the pool - connected to a long hose. Be sure to reach the storm drain, or pump far, far away from the pool. If you don't own a small submersible pump, you can get one at a local rental shop for a small daily fee.

2. Use the filter pump. If you have a separate main drain line, and you can close off the skimmer valves, then you can set your filter multiport valve to "Waste", and drain the water out of the backwash hose. If your pool is not too dirty, but has clear water, you can also do this with a push-pull valve (aka, slide valve). just move the handle to the backwash position and close the skimmer valves.

If you have a cartridge filter, there is no backwash valve, and using the filter pump to drain your pool will be impossible, unless you install a 3-way valve after the pump, to allow for diverting the water out of the system.

If you have what I call "Combination Skimmers", where the main drain is tied into the skimmer, you can also use the filter pump to drain the pool. If you have only one hole in the bottom of the skimmer, you can continue to pump the pool nearly empty by plugging the top of the skimmer with an expansion plug, or a threaded plug with o-ring.

If you see two holes when you look into your combination skimmer, usually front and back - then it is more difficult to pump below the skimmer. The easiest method is to connect a threaded hose adapter into the hole which goes to the pump, and connect a primed, "tight" vacuum hose to it. If you hear air sucking, you can use some duct tape.

If using the filter pump to drain or lower your pool water level, it's important to leave the pump running until it's completely empty. If you shut it off (to go to bed for example), you will likely not catch prime again.

If this helps please feel free to rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions please feel free to reach back out to me on this thread.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.