Homebuilder Jay
Homebuilder Jay, General Contractor
Experience:  Experience with new pool construction and repairs.

18' diameter x 4-1/2' deep above ground pool is green ...

Customer Question

18' diameter x 4-1/2' deep above ground pool is green ... have been putting algaecide and shock in pool for 5 days now with no luck clearing it up...have been vacuuming, and getting in pool and brushing about everyday...took a chemical reading this morning at 9am...and added a back of shock at 10 am rechecked...this is readings I got before adding shock and 30 minutes after adding shock...Total Hardness @ 9am = '0' - @ 10am = '100'
Total Chlorine " " = '1' - " " = '5'
Free Chlorine " " = '0' - " " = '10'
PH " " = '7' - " " = '6.5'
Total Alkalinity " " = '100' - " " = '40'
Stabilizer " " = '50' - " " = '100'am I going to have to drain, clean, and refill this pool to get it cleared up?...
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Homebuilder Jay replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer! The key to clearing up your green water problem is to overchlorinate the water in one shot. If you add small amounts of chlorine over a 5 day period it is never going to be effective, because you are not adding enough chemical to kill ALL of the algae. The analogy I use is if you have a fire in your house, you are going to douse the whole place with water all ot one time. You are not going to put part of the fire out over a 5 day period. Here is what you do. Add 4 times the amount of chlorine that you normally use all at one time. The basket and filters on the pool need to be cleaned 1 to 2 times per day and the pump needs to run for 24 hours for up to 4 days. Without enough chlorine and good filtration it will be a losing battle as the algae will grow faster that what has been killed. If everything is done correctly, the pool should go from green to cloudy to clear over a 3 to 4 day period. Please feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can this be done with Clorox?...or what do you suggest?...I've added a pound of Shock once a day for 3 'is' getting' better, but still cloudy with a bluish green tint...this pool uses a 3" chlorine tablet...should I double tablet/s to 2?...

You will need to increase the chlorine in the water. Adding the chlorine in small increments over a period of time is not sufficient enough to kill off all the algae. You are killing some of the algae growth, but the remaining continues to grow. You need to add enough chlorine in one shot to kill the algae and then run the filtration pump 24 hours for a few days continuously. The filters need to be cleaned daily or they will clog up and reduce the filtration effectiveness. Adding an extra chlorine tablet is probably not going to be enough. Pool chlorine is what kills algae. Algaecide is for pool maintenance and is not going to kill the algae. Your pool is probably around 8000 gallons of water so I recommend adding around 3 gallons of chlorine to the water to reach the super-chlorination level. Remember to run the pump continuously and clean the filter daily. The water should clear up in 3 to 4 days. You will more than likely have to vacuum the pool out really well also.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got in pool yesterday and brushed, then vacuumed... I also cleaned filter 'and' basket 3 times yesterday...each time filter looked better...I got the Total Chlorine up to 10 ppm yesterday as well...this morning I cleaned filter and basket...the Total Chlorine and Free Chlorine are at 5 ppm...the PH is a little on the low side at 6.8 ppm...and the Alkalinity also a little on the low side at 100 ppm...should I add some PH Increaser ?...if so how much and where should it be on the chart?...I know the PH should ideally be at 7.2 ppm, but don't know how much to add to raise it 0.4 ppm...