poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I have a Jandy lxi heater that i found out had a ignition

Customer Question

I have a Jandy lxi heater that i found out had a burnt ignition control pcb (did all the testing to find out thatthere was only 2.5V going from the ignition controls to the ignitor), i ordered new one and installed it and the heater did not start again (same 2.5V at the ignitor) ... after wasting sevral hours on testing I opened teh new ignition control just to find out that it has burnt exactly the same place as the old one... any suggestions??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: probably 3 weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not really that is pretty much the storry
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, click here please, is that the unit, and does the wiring diagram on page 48 match yours?

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the unit but the ignition controls did not have the L1 pin instead it had a pin on the 240V and one of the wires was attached there
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the Fenwal ignition control that is burning out?

It will take me a while to figure that complication out... tell me if you have a spark or a glow plug igniter.

Look for a short to ground in any of the wiring connected to the ignition module or the printed circuit board, that could be insulation rubbed off of an insulated wire, or a component that is dead shorted, such as the gas valve, or blower.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is the Fenwell, one of the pics shows the exact location of the burn. I will check for shorts, but when I do the trouble shooting everything checks out until step 15 when I need to check for 120v going to the ignitor... I start the heater aND disconnect the ignitor (BTW it is hot surface igitor) and touch the 2 pins with the voltage tester and all I see is 2.5V , the heater goes through its cycles 3 times and locks out. Hope this helps. Let me know if you figure something out or need more details
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

This is difficult, make sure that your meter is set correctly and reading correctly, not 25vac or 250vac etc.

Is there a thin black line across the hot surface of the igniter? if so, its bad.