Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

How much is this going to cost? Do we continue multiple

Customer Question

How much is this going to cost? Do we continue multiple times and questions before issue is resolved?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Billy: I'm not seeing any answer to the lengthy information I provided. Please advise.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see the question I asked. Do you need me to resend?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

When you say flow valve are you referring to the flow switch that connects when water starts moving?

And when you cut wires to flow switch did you wire together thus bypassing the switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I did it ran for 10 seconds then reset the recirculating pump. It then started the process all over again.Sorry for referring to it as s valve.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** the pump "resets" is it dropping the breaker, gfi etc? And then you have to reset?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I understand your question. No.It cycles again, starting the recirculating pump, running 10 seconds, then shutting down. I touch nothing.Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It continues to go through the same cycle until I shut off the breaker.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Ok I understand.

It cycles on/off in 10 sec increments when the flow switch is bypassed.

But with flow switch unhooked it runs steady?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have on more piece of information to add. I found a piece of plastic the size of a plump inchworm in the recirculating impeller. Removed it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct. It runs steady when disconnected.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Can you put a meter on the 2 flow switch wires when unhooked...run unit...and tell me if the voltage dances while the pump runs?

You will be measuring the control voltage, not the pump voltage.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I must go offline for a bit but will respond as soon as I log back on.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you want me to hook the meter to the two disconnected flow switch wires to see if voltage flutuates. How much voltage should I see? 5volts AC?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Me too. I'll let you know what I find.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Billy.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

The control voltage will/should be 24v ac. I am interested to see if we get a variation instead of seeing a steady 24v.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Zero. No voltage.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

and that is with the pump running and wires removed from flow switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct. No voltage coming from the board. I did not take a reading at the connector (zero insertion type).
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

then we have a board issue.

There should, at a minimum be 24v sitting on the wire waiting to cross when the flow switch closes. This indicates a board issue which would explain start/stops and fluttering response from flow switch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Who does board repair? Recommendations?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I would contact this company

Billy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Billy: thanks for your help and patience. It appears I have a job in disconnecting and labeling everything to take out the board.Before I do I want to make sure it is not another component. Can we rule out the recirculating pump and heater as culprits? I want to make sure before I undertake this task.I do not see any issues with the front of the board so if there is any visible issue it would be on the other side. Any idea what component on the board would have been damaged? This is a 10 year old tub and can't figure out why this would have happened. I have never had an issue.Your thoughts. Thanks for the referral.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

The pump and heater are line voltage items. Our problem is the low voltage signal.

It will help when you can see the back of the board for any hot spots...and going over the front with a magnifying glass helps also.

If I told you a component on the board I would be guessing...I am sorry

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't be sorry. You have been a big help. I have minimal electronic skills but much better than most people. I collect and rebuild vintage pinball machines. I have learned better troubleshooting skills over time.I will start to label all the lines and take it apart. Might be a few days. I'd like to keep thread open until I get it removed. Ok? I very much appreciate your help.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

No problem at all. Just do what you can and respond when you have info.

Keep this on your side without responding....if you do respond the system forces me to answer.

I will wait for your info and I wish you well.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Billy: I am attempting to remove the board from its enclosure. It appears that someone glued a piece of styrofoam? to the back of the board. Is this normal? I do not want to compromise the board. Suggestions? Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Yes that is correct. They want you to leave the board in the box and change/service as one unit.

The board is commonly removed. This is similar to the mattress tag myth.

Once your screws are out you can easily start to work the board off.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you suggesting to remove the box from the spa and then work the board from the box? It is tight and not much space to pry but I'll give it a try. I hate when companies do this stuff.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only one screw. 3 standoffs.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

any luck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry Billy I went away for a few days and finally removed the enclosure/board and am shipping to AZ for examination/repair. He stated he would remove and comment once received. It did not go so well to try and remove on my own and I did not want to damage.How do we proceed?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To be clear board and enclosure are being shipped together. Technician will remove from enclosure to diagnose.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the update.

At this point we wait to see the result of the board diagnosis.

Once you are satisfied with the the service you have received here, you will then locate the rating system of 5 stars and rate the service accordingly.

I hope all goes well.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. Board will be there by the end of the week. I'm guessing you have worked with Greg before.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

Just keep this on your end until ready or the system will force a response from me.

Respond when ready to proceed

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I was just contacted by Greg at Spa-Tek and there is nothing wrong with the control board. So what next?I sent a detailed description to Greg and am waiting for his reply. Not happy with cost and time only to find out there is no issue with the board. Are we looking at a simple connector issue?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Billy:Some of the information you gave me is incorrect regarding the flow switch. I am unable to cut and paste the reply I received from Greg but would like to forward to you for your review. Please advise.