poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Have a Spa with Balboa Circuit Board Model VS510SZ-DCAH (

Customer Question

Have a Spa with Balboa Circuit Board Model VS510SZ-DCAH ( Note the Z on the end of the model .... can't find a manual for the topside panel with a Z on the end )
Anyway the problem is the Spa won't shut down properly after initial start-up. It goes through the start-up procedure correctly with the PR sequence etc. but instead of going into Standard Mode ( which from the literature, I gather is what it's supposed to do ) it goes into the ECON mode and keeps cycling ( the pump ? ) on and off with the J1 light on. It keeps doing this and even though pushing the J1 button shuts thing down momentarily, in a few minutes it starts cycling on and off again.
If you leave it run long enough the temp will get up to 100 degrees even thought the warm button is set to 98.
I have double checked the dip switches and they are all in the correct position as suggested by the operational manual.
Have to find a way to stop this problem ..... cycling on and off is going to cost a fortune on electricity not to mention wear and tear on pumps and motors.
I know how to physically switch the settings from Econ to Manual but at startup shouldn't this happen automatically.
Once things are running properly I can switch back to Econ to save electricity.
Also, DON'T understand why Sleep mode wouldn't be a better option if you only use the spa twice a day ??
I have set the filter duration for 8 hours ..... can't understand why default is 2 hours ???? Is there some way to set the filter cycle for once every 24 hours and only have it run for say 1/2 hour when it kicks in. DON'T see the need to filter the water so frequently.
Any ideas how to rectify these problems and set this up to run as economically as possibel
Like I said ..... preference is to only filter once a day and have the spa not run until I turn it on manually when we want to use it.
Thanks for suggestions
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Cole. I see your asking about spas and i think i can help as i have over 10 years experience in this field.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what's next .... I tried asking some other guy and all I got was password ***** from ASK ,com
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

I am familiar with 510 models i have not seen this one but we will figure it out. So it is normal to get out of the prime mode and go into heating mode. I do not know why its saving the economy mode but will try and see why. Also they have come to the conclusion that running a filter cycle twice a day (2 hours) is the most effective for spa cleanliness.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm waiting
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still waiting ... NO ... I don't want to talk on the phone
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

You can change the filter mode that's not an issue. So i am going to do something i do not normally do because its sounds like you have had the run around with other techs before. I am going to give the number i use for balboa tech support they will walk through your unit since you or i cant find the correct manual for this unit. would you like to try this or do you want me to try and research to walk you through it? :)

Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

If you do not want tech support balboa i will certainly try and help you.

Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

Are you at the spa currently?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've already called Balboa and I got the usual .... we're sorry but we can't give advise to consumers ... we only deal with dealers so we can give you their number if you like. I live out in the sticks .... 100 miles away from dealers .... I can't afford house calls
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, I've already reset the filter duration to 2 hours .... no difference
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

I have a number for balboa i can call and give them the rundown first and make my contact there walk you through it. i usually walk people through it but with the issue your having they would be even better at it . If your ok with it i will call them now get a contact for you and have them ready to assist you. Just let me know if your o.k with this?

Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

I have an inside source as i use them quite often.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
NO .... I'm In the house on the computer
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

just give me the word i will call them immediately they will want you at the spa for this troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't like trying to talk on the phone .... nit enough hands .... if I see an answer in prnt then I can try it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
O.K. ... they can call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

i know how it goes i do this for a living it can get really frustrating. but to make this less frustrating for you i think a call from them will really help. It will save time and money. give me a few moments i am going to try them for you. Thanks for your patience with me.

Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

Is your name Lyle? what is your name so i can tell them please. thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My name is Dave
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

Thanks Dave. I left my contact a msg letting him know i need him. So we just have to wait for a response.in the mean time i will work on getting a manual for you. I am going to go to my buisness and try and dig through my manual archives for you it may take a bit. But i will get you going i am here to help. again thank you for your patience. I do not usually pass my work off on someone else but i think with your situation its the best thing to do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
o.k. thanks ...... I have what they call the hot sheets and operation manual but the one for the upper LCD panel with instructions how to program it is what I'm missing. The list of panels only covers the spa without the Z on the end so all I have is what looks closest to mine .... might work but then again what's in the correct manual might have the answer to the problem.
Also you mention " they " suggest 2 hours twice a day as optimal for cleaning the filter but if there's a way to do it I would like to experiment with a lesser amount of time ... say 1/2 hr twice a day or 1 hour twice a day. With us only using the spa twice a day at most, it seems like a waste of power doing 2 hours twice a day because I'm assuming when the filter comes on, the heater also comes on ? We are in NE Texas with daily temps. os around 100 degrees and with the spa covered between uses I can't see where we are losing a lot of heat between uses.
Give me your phone number and I'll get back to you after I talk with Balboa
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also my e-mail address is *************
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

Well Dave you are correct balboa is getting real picky on who they talk too. they told me they wont even talk to service techs like myself starting in two months. In the mean time i am going to find you the right manual for your balboa pack. i will send it over as soon as i get it in my hands. thanks for the patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
O.K. thanks.
The main issue still seems to be not being able to shut the spa down after each use, to where " all " the lights go off .... blower, Jet1 Jet2 and thus avoid having the circulation pump cycle on and off all the time ( and be using electricity unnecessarily )
I don't know why, or what combination of touch pad buttons that I touch, but sometimes everything will shut down and other
( most ) times it won't ??? Also, after we finish using the spa, I shut off the blower and just sit and soak with the circulation jets still going and after about 5 - 10 minutes the spa will shut down completely ( which is what I want it to do ) ... but most often not.
It just seem to have a mind of it's own.
After it does shut down completely it seems to stay off for 6 to 8 hours and then kicks on again. I much prefer having to turn it on and off manually with the touch pad buttons ..... after it stays off for an extended time it might drop a degree or so in temp and having it slowly heat up when we start it again is preferable to constantly cycling on and off
Expert:  Cole replied 3 months ago.

I do not know if there is a way to do that yet but i am going to my best to find out for you.