Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  i have been doing plumbing work for 20 years with alot of experience in service work
64367226

Just filled up a brand new spa. Pump not turning on at all.

Customer Question

Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have opened up unions and heard a short amount of hissing and then water coming out. No error codes. It's a coast spa INSPIRATION model (not much online). Balboa board. Brand new. Not sure if it's a problem with the switchbank selection.
***need help within the hour!!!!
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. When you filled it, did you fill by putting a hose in the filter housing or in the tub?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put it just in the tub (read instructions afterwards).
From what I've read so far, the pump should be making SOME kind of noise? But it's only the board clicking right now.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Try removing the filter and running the hose in there for a minute and put the filter in the water. It will get saturated with water and remove any air in it also. Then after running the hose for a minute then try running it then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay i will try putting hose in the filter cavity (without filter) for a minute and then screw the filter back in and try it.
*doing that right now.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Excellent

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just put the hose down there for a minute or two. And turned the GFCI back on.
It's a couple minutes in but no pump noises yet.
I will attach pictures.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bubbles came up initially and then nothing.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Are all of the jets under water? Now that you ran the hose will air come out of the unions again?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yup all jets under water. I'll try loosening first union and seeing if there is air hiss.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Very good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Loosened union at beginning of heater and no hiss. Just water...
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

You have pushed each jet button and nothing? Just a click? Try pushing the jet button repeatedly on and off.That may push the air out too. Surely the issue is just that air is keeping the pump from priming.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well the thing is, when i turn it on, it does it's own prime mode, etc. There is the heating light on the panel that lights up, like it's working but no error codes come up when pump doesn't run. I click the pump button and all i can get is a click each time i push it.
I've tried twisting some of the jet knobs one way or the other but nothing happens. It's like the pump isn't plugged in or broken or something. But it is brand spanking new!!
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Turn the breaker back off and check the control board. Check all the connectors are pushed in and connected properly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just did that app and plugged back in. Nothing different!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked voltage too at connectors and everything seems normal at 123V. Could it be an amperage problem? How can I check that.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Is it 110 volt? Is there a selector on the board to select between 220volt and 110?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a 220. No selector to change that. You have to jump some pins but I removed the jumper as per instructions.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

There is almost certainly just air lock. Filling the spa in the tub will almost always cause air pockets. They can be difficult to get out and sometimes even need to sit overnight before the air will work it's way out. Are you sure that you were loosening the union on the main pump? It is the main filter pump that is connected by hoses or pipes to the filter canister and spa heater

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I loosened the left side of the right heater tube and the right side of that. Then after that I went to the right and loosened the pvc collar before and after the water pump.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

How many times have you gone through the whole priming process?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just did it all again. Maybe five times! This last time I just decided to push the light button and it clicking twice a second repeatedly and won't turn off. Display says FC. It stops when I shut breaker off and doesn't start when I turn it back on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I be loosening the bleeder valve every time I boot it up or leave it loosened. ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These are the four I've loosened until water comes out. In order.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Loosen then tighten before starting. No need to loosen the unions on the heater. Just the pump. I think FC is just a filter setting. You may have to let it sit for a while before trying again but surely the issue is air. The startup process can be quite time consuming but it will surely get going once the air has worked it's way out. Repeatedly pushing the jet button on and off could get it primed too.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried it again and then switched breaker on. Will let it sit but no luck so far. Weird that when I push the light button the light comes on and I hear so much clicking and it won't stop till I shut the breaker off!! Never did that before. Hopefully the switches are correct.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

The worst is that the main board will sometimes be a faulty one. It happens way more often than it should. Anything besides air lock will be covered with warranty so no worries there except for the delay in getting it going.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't get it working today again. I'm going to try draining half of it and then filling up through filter housing with hose.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

That was going to be the next thing I would suggest. I look forward to hearing how that goes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No luck. Anything further you can suggest? In diagnosing water pump? Measured red white and black wires from where the pump plugs into board. All show 123V.
Pump doesn't hum or do anything. Is common for brand new pump to be faulty?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

No, not at all but it is likely the control board is faulty. Do you have voltage at the wires going out of the board to the motor? There should be a wiring diagram on the back of the panel or in your manual. Be sure to empty it below the jets before filling again. You do not have to empty the whole thing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Voltage between white and neutral is 123v. Ground is 0. And I can read 123v across red and also across black (depending on what buttons i have pushed....IE low or high speed).
However, when i put measure one point on red and the other on black, nothing really comes up. Isn't it supposed to come up as about 230v?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

No it would be 110v on black and the same on red making it 220v The voltage is correct. What is it you are measuring that is getting nothing? After the pressure switch? How about testing on the board?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested the voltage going directly into the pump plug. So at least I know 100% that the motor is receiving power through the board. Still no noise at all coming from the pump though.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

The plug on the board or the motor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where the pump plug connects onto the board.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Is there always voltage there or only when turning the pump on from the control?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The white always has voltage. And then either the red or the black will have voltage depending on if you push button or not.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Look at the wiring diagram on the inside panel and see if there is an inline fuse between those connections and the pumps or a push connector that is not pushed in all the way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no in line fuses to the pump. And all fuses on the board are fine. I'm not sure what else we can try at this point.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Did you check the connections are pushed in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they are. Voltage measured at the motor. REd/black/white are at 123volts at one point or another. Ground at 0 of course. So dead motor or dead control board.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, i was out late last night on a plumbing call then back to work again today. Yes, looks like it is a warranty issue now with the board or motor.