garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have beachcomber 550. Last weekend had a new heater

Customer Question

I have beachcomber 550. Last weekend had a new heater element, chamber and sensors put in. Tub worked well for five days and now all of a sudden we are getting th dr and dy code. Tried taking out filter to make sure good flow was happening. Turned off breaker and restarted. Prime mode starts but I don't think circulation pump is kicking in?? One the 4 minute primer cycle is done it tries to go into a heat cycle. I think circ pump runs for about 5 seconds and then kicks off and gives me the dr code. Any thoughts??
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 10 months ago.

Hi:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your heater.

The circ. pump is set up to move water through the heater. If the circ. pump should fail, water will not move through the heater, and you will get the "dr" and "dy" codes, indicating that the heater has no flow of water through it. You could try to remove the front cover of the circ. pump and check the impeller for any debris or anything that will cause blockage in the pump. Otherwise, the circ. pump may need replacement.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dobyoubhavevthe question I sent in?

Yes. I just responded

Do you see my response?

are you there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When you say front cover, do you mean closest to tub or the other end? WI'll water come flying out? Do I need to close any of the knives??

No. You need to remove the pump from the spa. The end that is opposite of the motor, (where the plumbing connects to), is the pump cover. The impeller is behind that cover.

You will need to close the slice valves to keep the water in the tub.

From my experience, most of the time it is a faulty pump/motor, and you will need to replace it. However, there may be a chance you could have something in the pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I first turn on breaker for hot tub, it is supposed tongi into primer mode and the circ pump should start up?? Correct?? Should I be able to hear this pump? Should I see water circulating in tub??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have also read maybe it is an air bubble and pump isn't priming maybe?? Thoughts??

What is the year of you tub?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2008

You stated your tub worked fine for five days. Did this happen immediately after it ran fine for five days? Did you drain and refill the tub and then have this happen?

If this happened immediately, after it was working fine, it's unlikely you have air in the lines.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No didn't drain it or anything. Just happened over night. The drcode was on when I checked it in the morning.

The circ. pump will start after the 4 minute "PR" mode.

I can only repeat, the circ. pump MUST run in order for the spa to heat. If this pump is NO running, you will get the fault codes you mentioned

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hear it kick in at that point. It runs for about six seconds and stops and gives me the dr code.

Yes, you may have a faulty pump.

If you get the pump to run the entire time it is calling for heat the spa will work properly

Do you have a multimeter or a volt meter that measures AC voltage and know how to use it?

I will be leaving for the night. Work on getting the circ. pump to run, and post your findings here, and I'll reply when I sign on tomorrow.

Have a nice night!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thinking of trying to unplug the heater and flipping the breaker to go through primer start up again and see if pump runs beyond the six or so seconds this time.

Were you able to get the circ pump to run consistently without it shutting off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately I am now back in town and hot tub is at lake. Won't be there again until Friday.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fellow is out at my cabin. He says circ pump not running. Is there a fuse for this pump? I assume so. Do yiubknowbwhatvsize it is??

I will need to see an electrical schematic for you spa. You can take a photo, if the schematic is inside the front cover of the control box, and post it here.

If the circ. pump is running for a few seconds and then cycling off like you originally stated, I can then tell you the fuse is good.