poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

I emptied my nordic s spa and now it won't start up. I

Customer Question

Hi, I emptied my nordic s spa and now it won't start up. I pushed the tripping button on the plug and hear a click but there's no engine turning on.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cole. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having. I will ask you a few questions about this problem. Do you have access to either a multi-meter or voltage tester? Is the display lighting up, if so any error codes or messages?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's no light on the display. I don't have a voltage tester
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

No problem i will gladly help you figure this out. First thing we should try is plugging another device into the same outlet you are attempting to power your spa with. let me know if you have already attempted this since the occurrence of this issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the fuse was flipped so I flipped it all the way back to on and tried a toaster in the plug to make sure it was working. That was 2 days ago
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Is the fuse your referencing the reset on the cord itself? If so can you hear or see it trip back off immediately when you plug it in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The fuse isn't the one on the cord it's for the house. The cord does have 2 buttons that reset. I tried pushing those as well but it still won't turn the tub on. I do hear a clicking on the tub when I push those buttons but nothing turns on
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Does the breaker in the house trip every time or is staying on now? Do you know if the cord has i light that previously would turn on but does not now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cord doesn't have a light and never did. The fuse in the house is staying on.
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

So when you hear this noise in the tub does the reset button on the cord trip back off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it doesn't
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Alright so the next thing i would do is pull the fuses in the control box on the circuit board. make sure power source is disconnected for safety reasons before attempting. Some of them you can physically see burned out if so replace it with a fuse with the exact ratings. If you cannot see them burned out you may have to get a ohm meter to test for continuity through the fuses. If no meter available you can make a small tester with a flashlight and complete the circuit from the batteries to the light with an extra wire or two and the fuse in between. If the power passes through the fuse and the light turns on the fuse is still letting power through so it should be OK.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, ill check the fuses in the morning and make sure i match them if theyer burned out. If i csnt tell which is burned ill go to the hardware store and get an Ohm tester and check each one.
Thanks, I'll let you know tomorrow what the outcome is. Thanks *****
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good will do this with or without a tester but much easier with one. Most electrical supply stores i know of will usually test that stuff for free on the spot. Let me know in the morning i will be waiting to assist you further and appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Cole, there was only 1 fuse and I took it to the hardware store and it still has a charge when they tested it
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, sorry to hear that was not the problem. I have a few more questions. I know you drained the tub but did we move the tub at all? Also when you reset the gfci is it plugged in because it must be plugged in to reset it and usually when a gfci is bad it wont let anything threw or it will not reset. So first thing is lets look for any loose wires, connections and burned wires again be careful. If we cannot find any of these things then we do need a multi-meter so we can trace what voltage is and where is it dying. We will find this out.. If you can find a manual multi-meter instead of a digital it will save quite a bit of money usually and usually easier to use.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I have a tester. I didn't move the tub. U don't know what the gfci is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what a gfci is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put the tester on ac and check the fuse?
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

So the gfci is the technical term for the plug with the reset built in. and to test a fuse you would want to turn your tester to the ohm's setting which usually is indicated with a horseshoe symbol then just put a lead on each end (you should have continuity) if none than it is bad. let me know but i think you said the hardware store tested it but might as well confirm this on are own. If the fuse is bad we will want to test the power coming into the control box from the cord and make sure we are getting 120 volts. Then we will proceed from there. And again proceed with caution when working with electricity. If you need help knowing where to test just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Continuity is indicated by a number?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or oos
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's saying 24 when I test the fuse
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't see ant burned wires
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says 2.4 and then goes up to 4.1 on the fuse
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

So it does sound like the fuse is good. Lets get the tester to volts and make sure its on A.C. and over 120 volt rating and see first if your outlet is producing 120 volts if so then test where the power comes into the box and hooks on it should also have 120 volts. Put one lead on the in one socket and one in the ground socket in the outlet (only one side is hot so if you don't get reading on one side try the other) should have 120 volts. If you do have 120 volts in the outlet than do the cord in box like i suggested above. let me know what you are getting and proceed with caution and make sure you are on the correct setting.

Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

I worded that a little weird at first. So if the power is 120 volt in outlet then test where the plug wires come into control box and hit the terminal block or the circuit board and go from the hot wire to ground (the ground bar on the control box is usually marked ground but if not it usually has a green wire or two going to it. so test from one to the ground and see if we get 120 volts. Please proceed with caution and check proper setting on tester before testing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The outlet is 120
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cord has black rubber covering the wire. Where do I test ot?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I need to plug the tub in?
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

I am back with you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have to leave at 7
Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

So first test is unplug the cord out of the outlet and lets test the outlet. Test from one opening to the ground opening if no voltage than ground to other opening (make sure tester is on a.c for alternating current and minimum of 120 volts) we should get 120 out of one side.

Expert:  Cole replied 4 months ago.

When do you want to pick up where we leave off? No problem at all to me. :)