poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

I replace the motor (1 Hp) on my sat-rite filter pump

Customer Question

i replace the motor (1 Hp) on my sat-rite filter pump system. the original motor was discontinued an i had to use a hayward motor. the system in a freestanding pool using an extension cord for power supply. the system worked fine until after about 14 yrs the motor bearing gave out. after replacing the motor with the hayward motor i now have an overheating problem. any suggestions?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

There are several issues here, primarily the size wire stamped on the extension cord, would need to be minimum size 12 depending on how long it is.... and the other issue, and it is a crucial one, is the grounding and bonding of the wiring so that no fatal shocks are administered to anyone in the pool ... there are a host of strict regulations about this wiring, at the very least the extension cord would need to be plugged into a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) protected circuit.... and that would still not be safe or legal if the pool pump and associated pool hardware were not *bonded properly.

Tell me please how long the extension cord is, and how far the pump unit is from the pool.

We can however discuss it a while before I refer you to a local electrical contractor.