Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers

My 2004 optima 850 quit. blew the breaker. I reset breaker,

Customer Question

My 2004 optima 850 quit. blew the breaker. I reset breaker, tub fired up.... blew breaker. I tried one more time, it blew the breaker and melted insulation on wire ends at breaker box.
noticed water leak.... around heater thought it was heater, so removed.... does not appear broken or burnt... ideas?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No response yet. Does a further clarification it is a Sundance Optima Spa I can find no defects visibly in a heater element but I also could not find any visible defects on the board control boards such as burn marks or blown fuses
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

can you tell me if the breaker trips if you simply leave the heater unhooked from the wiring?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not disconnected or hard wire from the spa to the sub panel I will do that now and see if it still blows the breaker I have not tried that yet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just disconnected the run from the hot tub back to the sub panel and when I repaired the sub panel and turn the breaker on it does not blow the breaker.Upon examination of the breaker that I can see where did melt part of the casing when it shorted out so I will need to replace my breaker as I fix this problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did a voltage check across the two load lines and I had 236 volts