garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.

I have a Solana spa. The pump doesn't run on low/heat but

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Solana spa. The pump doesn't run on low/heat but does run on high. It is a 110v only model. i did remove the pump and tried it out side of the spa. It ran perfectly on both speeds. I have reinstalled the pump. It did try to go one time for about 2 seconds but then kicked out. There is a click in the control board. The display shows the pump icon running but nothing else. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem would be appreciated
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 3 months ago.

Hi Greg:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your sp.

When you here the click, this usually indicates the relay for the pump is closing. Since you tested the pump, you know the low speed and high speed work.

The first thing to try is to remove the low speed wiring for the pump from the circuit board. Next, power up the spa, and with a volt meter connected to the terminals on the board where you removed the wires for the low speed pump from, see if you are getting 110 volts AC.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that when I get more time. I have to go away now. I will let you know what i find out later.
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 2 months ago.

OK. Just post your findings here when you get the chance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Finally got back to the spa. Took filter out and it worked for a while. Now the display shows 2 rows of dash dot dash dot dash after the pump kicks out. If you could tell me what that code means we could get a long way.

You did not state the year of your Solana spa, so I will give the code for the 2008 model:

_._._._ These 2 rows with the dot means the Pressure switch is staying open (preventing the heater from coming on when it should be closed). If this worked after you removed the filters, and does not work after you cleaned them, you may want to consider replacing the filters. If you had the same filters for at least two years, it is suggested to replace them. The pressure switch should reset when you get a good flow of water through the heater.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This code came on with no filter in at all

Check the water flow through the heater to be sure it is not restricted by something other than a filter blockage.