Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

I have a 1 HP hayward pump and a hayward pro series sand

Customer Question

I have a 1 HP hayward pump and a hayward pro series sand filter. My problem is that I loose suction if I hook up my vacuum. I also loose pressure after about 2 hours of running the pump. I can backwash the system and everything works fine for a short period. I see no air coming into the pump. Any ideas?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 7 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still need assistance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello all. It's been 4 days and I haven't heard back from anyone. Please give me an update.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Does the water level in the pump basket go down when this happens?

Let me know and we can continue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, the level of the water does not go down when this happens.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Does water keep circulating through the system?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it keeps circulating, just not much water comes back into the pool.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok. Tell me about your pool. Above or In Ground? Gallons? How many skimmers? Main drain? How many returns?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In ground pool. 32,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain and 4 returns.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok and do you hook the vacuum hose into the port in the bottom of one of your skimmers?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
one of the skimmers
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok. While vacuuming, at any time do you see bubbles coming out of the 4 returns?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, i do not see any bubbles. the only time i see any bubbles is when the system is first turned on and a few bubbles will come out.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok. So water does not go down in the pump basket and you do not see bubbles.

What is the make and model of the vacuum? Or is it just a generic "broom" on the end of the hose?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's just a hose and broom. keep in mind that whether or not i use the vacuum, the system still gets weak after it has run for a couple of hours. the vacuum just makes it happen faster.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, that sounds typical of your problem except that the water level in the basket usually goes down when this happens as the pump starts to lose its prime.

In any event, the problem is nearly always at the pump. You have an air leak somewhere. Most commonly it is around the basket lid. Remove that, check the o-ring and grease it up with pool grease (avail. at the local pool store). Then check the drain plug(s) on the pump and make sure if they have o-rings, they are also greased up.

Let me know what you find. I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay. it'll be a day or so before i can check it but i'll be back in touch. thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, when you say drain plugs on the pump. What are you referring to?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

On the pump body almost underneath is a drain plug, sometimes two. See THIS photo.

I'll be here and if not, I will be alerted when you reply.

Regards.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I'm at a loss. The pump ran all day yesterday and still had good suction and output. I went ahead and greased the o-ring on the basket and checked the drain plug on the pump. Then I hooked up the vacuum and had great suction for about 10 minutes before the suction got very weak. There was one air bubble in the pump basket about the size of a quarter but no more sign of air. It would seem that if there was an air leak that I would have a constant flow of air into the basket. Your thoughts.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again. I'm sorry for the delay. I was off yesterday.

I would try the other skimmer. Does the same thing happen if you plug the hose into there??

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Steve. Yes, I get the same result if I try the other skimmer.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

This is a weird one. I would snake out your skimmer lines. You can sometimes do this with a garden hose with water flowing trhough the hose. I'm wondering if something is in the return lines. It can't hurt to try this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Steve. I was able to flush out the skimmer lines and there did not appear to be anything obstructing them. Any more ideas?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

I do not. You have a leak somewhere that is causing the pump to lose prime. I'm not sure where it could be coming from.

You may want to consider a Polaris pressure side cleaner or a robotic one. Suction side cleaners quickly clog up the filter. A pressure side doesn't and of course an electric one doesn't either.

I'm sorry I just don't know what is going on there. All the usual fixes do not work.