Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

I have a hot springs spa. My line is hooked up and fine red

Customer Question

I have a hot springs spa. My line for 220 is hooked up and fine red ,black, white and gr. I also have a small black and red coming out of conduit. This small black and red is 110 I'm asumeing for lights and heater? So I need to feed those two wires with 110
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Is the spa functioning without those two wires being connected?

Let me know so that we may continue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pump is working fine its bubbleing when pump off like it should. Its not heating though. Have #8 wire red black white and ground hooked up. From the line coming in the house I have those four wires plus a smaller gauge 12 stranded wires that r black and red. Do these need to be with BL and red on the 220 circuit or is this wired to 110
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

In the spa are there terminals for the two extra wires? They would be labelled 110V.

Also how is it that you are in this situation? Did you just purchase the spa and have existing wiring??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Home owner purchased used hot tub. Already had wiring on tub going through flexible line into house. Has the heavy gauge wires which I understand. Just not sure on the lighter gauge black and red also with this . they are all hooked up on panel in hot tub
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

Just so I understand, you have connected the two 120V wires?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

If the spa has connections for 220V (3 wires + ground) and 110V (2 wires + ground) then yes, the two wires need to go to a single pole GFI breaker.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They r connected on the panel in the hot tub then the run into house where I have already hooked up the 220 wires pump and jets r working but I have not hooked the other two wires which are red and black . I have two reds two blacks. One #8 gauge white, one black one red and a ground. Plus two smaller gauge wires red and black.. Spa is not heating but jets pump and panel are working. I'm assuming theses wires r probly for heater and lights. Hot springs spa. Model kk serial# *****
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, on those Hot Springs models, you typically would have a 2 Pole 50A breaker in your house panel going out to a subpanel near the tub with two breakers in it. A 2 pole 20A and a 2 pole 30A. Both breakers ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BE GFI.

So to answer your question, the two wires a 220V and would go to a 2 pole 20A GFI breaker.

Do not install this spa without GFI breakers.

CLICK HERE for a diagram.

Let me know if you need further help.