Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Hayward h100id heater propane turns on and lights right up

Customer Question

Hayward h100id heater propane turns on and lights right up but after about 5min. the gas shuts off , fan keeps working like it should. there is clicking sounds which I assume its trying to light up again but after 3 or 4 clicks it just gives up. I shut it off and wait about a min. then turn it on it works but it starts the same way. I think it was the air pressure diagam senor (part #rss-495-130) so I took it off and jumped the wires together. it burns for about 5, 6 min, longer but then it does the same thing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: it run good last weeken but the propane tank was starting to become off level so I called the gas man and they leveled it and ckecked the pressure at the heater. it was very high so they adjusted it to facorty specs.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when I discounted thhe 1 of the wires to the sensor itt will not ignite at all but when I bypass the senor it will
JA: After your first paid question, we offer a week's free trial membership when you can ask as many questions as you like.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: $
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hayward's part # ***** the one in question is IDXAPS1930 in stead of rss-495-130
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you may have a bad temperature limit. I'd try jumping them out one at a time to test. Do not operate the unit with a limit jumped out except for testing purposes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where is the temp limit
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

It's in the inlet/outlet water manifold. Here's a link to your manual. Its location is shown on the parts blow up on page 8

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/H-series-H100ID1-ABG1001.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I jump the 2 red wires on the manifold and level the yellow one alone
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I don't follow you description. Take a look at the wiring diagram on page 7

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see it the red wire comes from the air pressure swith and goes to the left side of the water pipe the is a yallow wre in the middidel as the diagram shows sould I reconnect the aie supply swith
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Since jumping out the air pressure didn't solve this then reconnect it. There's a red wire on each end of the limits string with a yellow wire between the 2 limits. If you connect the red wires on each end of the limit string you'll by pass both limits which will tell you if it's a limit problem. It just won't tell you which limit (diagram shows 2) is the culprit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will try that now. while I was waiting a called Hayward and they said it was the fuel mixture not enough air . but I will try your way first be back
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nope same problem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
rick are you there
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Well, I don't get the air mix solution. How are you supposed to adjust the air mix when the burners don't have an air shutter? The only other device on that circuit are the water pressure switch and the thermostat. You can try jumping those out. If nothing changes then check the voltage at the ignition module when it isn't working. If you have 120 volts at the control then the ignition control is suspect.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try the temp swith first should I jump the red and black wires just check to see if that is the right ones that is off the blower right
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Thermostat wires are blue. Pressure switch looks like red & black.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will try both be back soon
oki tried the blue wire fist (they are off the temp. nob on the front of the unit righ?)no good ,then I tried the black and red wire off the blower the blower would not come on, do you mean the senor that is on the water pipe because there is also a white wire there
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'm talking about the water pressure switch which is also on the water manifold. Again refer to the manual. Wiring diagram has a decent picture, parts blow up shows where it is. If none of this works you could have a bad ignition control but you need a voltmeter to test it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I use the phone will I get a refund if we can't get it to work?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

A phone call won't help since I've given you all the info you need here. I can't guarantee a fix all I can do is tell you what to check. And you need a voltmeter/mulit-meter to check the ignition control if none of this works.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the ignition works it does fire up but the heat will not stay fire up, since the heat shuts off it clicks several times tiring to ignite again I am pretty sure the it is not the ignition . whataboot the white wire that is connect to the blue wire when I connect the blue and red on the thermostat with is on the water pipe
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will double check were the if the white wire accutrely touches the blue
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I've outlined the procedure you should follow. My diagram shows a blue on one terminal and a blue & red on the other pressure switch terminal

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

You connect the 2 connectors on the pressure switch together to jump it out. There's no way you can know if the ignition control is good or not simply because the unit fires up. The control also keeps the burner lit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
rick sorry it took so long, I bypass the temp senor and no luck. I won't have a meter until later on today , should I connect it and what sould it read is there anything I could try meanwhile
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like you bypassed all the devices in the control circuit. Double check the wiring diagram to see if you missed any. Once you get the meter then you need to check the voltage into and out of the control. If you have ~120 volts into and out of the control then check it at the gas valve if you also have 120 volts at the gas valve then you have a bad gas valve. Actually it would be easiest to start at the at valve first then check the control. Do this after it fires up then shuts down.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how would I check the valve ?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

With the volt meter. If you have ~120 vac at the valve then the valve should be open and the burner should be firing.