Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers

Just cleaned tub / filters and refilled over the weekend.

Customer Question

Just cleaned tub / filters and refilled over the weekend. Got water to temp and balanced all was good and functional. Stepped away for 2 hrs and when i came back to soak, panel and tub was dead. Heard a drip, removed front panel and discovered that ozone like broke free from ozonator (Freshwater III) and was leaking. No water anywhere near (sealed) Control box (IQ2020), just down around circ pump and heater.
Seems that power is getting to outdoor outlet. The tub's built in GFI on the plug lights up and can be tested and reset.
The ozone unit needs to be replaced. the little plastic nub that the hose attached to is cracked off. Thats easy. I removed the onzonator's leads from the circuit board (as if it wasn't equipped with one), nothing.
Is my board fried? is there some fuse or breaker that I'm missing. Does anyone know where to go next. I have the skills to repair/replace any of the components, i just dont know how to diagnose the issue. I would LOVE to avoid paying for / dealing with getting a tech out to look at it until i know I've exhausted my options...
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still want to proceed
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

First...remove board and look at the back side...tell me if any burn marks or signs of heat fatigue

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Before i even took the board off, i tested the outdoor outlet that the big hotsprings gfi plug goes into. 120v (which makes sense b/c the little GFI light is on when plugged in. The test/reset function of the plug unit seems to work (kills the light, resets it). As I disconnected the power wires from the board, i put the tester on the hot and neutral wires (coming from the plugged in GFI plug) and I'm getting nothing. Is it possible that even though the plug unit is lit, its shot and the cord in not live? Have you seen that? It seems the evidence points to that. Could it have tripped and failed as water sprayed around from the loose ozone tube?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

what do you have going TO the gfi?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not sure what you mean. the outlet is hot. i ordered a new gfci plug end arriving tomorrow. I think it is fried.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I asked because if 220 you can be missing a leg of power and still read power at the gfi. Therefore we test for what voltage is present...not just if it is hot.