Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction

I have an 18x36 inground pool with steps that are cracked. I

Customer Question

I have an 18x36 inground pool with steps that are cracked. I think there a plastic. How can you tell which how to reoair
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: thank you
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. I have already started. I have back filled the top 2 steps and being in the auto body repair business I was told the steps were made of fiberglass but they look like some kind of plastic. So I just need to talk to someone
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think thats about it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 3 months ago.

Yes pool steps are fiberglass, with a top coating to water proof them. I would get a 2 part resin compound or go to a marina if you are near any and they have fiberglass repair kits. A 2 part resin should seal the cracks as well. You obviously will need to lower the water level below cracks allow steps to dry then follow directions for the resin application let that set up 24 hrs then re-fill pool.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My pool steps are not fiberglass. They are a material called Rovel, a thermoplastic material with extremely high impact strength. Do you have any ideas on how to repair small cracks and to fill four 1.5 inch holes that I needed to get sand in to back fill the stairs. I'm doing a liner at the same time so the pool is dry.

Well I have had some great success with a product called schmere it is a PVC pellet product when mixed with primer will turn into a paste substance, then you trowel it on any plastic surface and smooth out then when dries it turns to plastic again. I have used it on pool skimmers for many years and works great, so if your steps are plastic then it will work.