Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers

I have a small inground cement pond on a large patio. It is

Customer Question

I have a small inground cement pond on a large patio. It is about 7' x 9' x 2' about 2' deep. About 750 gallons. I have a 1 1/2 horse Hayward SP1580X15 pump. Currently, I'm using the Easy clear cartridge C550.
All with 1 1/2 PVC connections.
Here is my problem and I need someone EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE about this..or please do not respond. I'm weary of researching and buying stuff that is not working and talking to people who are not veterans at this. Waaaaaay too much time on this damn project. Here's the challenge.
Pond is under a 12 x 12 canopy, BUT the patio has many trees. While I keep it clear as much as's challenging. Of course I have tried putting clear screen and it looks like shit. I need a 10,000 wooden gazebo but can't afford it now. I want the damn thing to sparkle without killing me with maintenance. I'm purchasing a high powered battery blower to blow off patio twice a week and keep shit from around it. But I live in the desert and my two labs love to jump in the pond, which is of the reasons I built it...but they bring in a lot of sand. My C550 filter jams up very quickly...and the skimmer loses 1/2 power all the time. I have a permenant water fill so I can instantly prime the system so this is not a problem. I'm losing some prime due to a small chip under the clear plastic top...which I know I have to fix or replace. But I DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE THIS DAMN FILTER AND THE PLASTIC FILTER CUP CANNISTER WITH YET THE WRONG THING AGAIN. I need solid advice here. I want this set up to be maintenance free as much as possible. Like cleaning the filter once a month. Not WEEKLY. I was told by Hayward techs twice that the 1 1/2 horse is more than adequate for this small pond. I used the C550 filter for a huge intex pool and it worked great. Now...shit. My other thought was to blow off the damn hayward set up for cleaning and only use it for circulating water and buying a very top end TOTALLY EXTERNAL SMALL POND VACUUM with it's own totally separate bag, etc. so I can just quickly vaccuum the thing once a week. But I HAVE NO IDEA which is the best here....50 on market...and here we go again. 6 months of stupid research. I DO NOT WANT TO DICK AROUND WITH THIS. If I need a larger sand type filter...or whatever, please advise. I need EXACT make and model number and the rationale. My problem is leaves and sand. Not massive leaves, I'm talking a plastic cup full a day...but that's stopping my system for some reason. The current skimmer I have is the SP1099S. The Hayward advisor said it was the smallest and perfect for the size pond I have...similar to a large spa. I think it should HOP with a 1 1/2 horse motor but it doesn't. Maybe my lines are clogged...but I have not run it once without baskets. Again, tooooo much trouble. I bought the Wanda Whale vacuum...but it didn't have enough go go to climb a small 7 inch graduated rise in depth. Now I have to return this shit. Please help.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm easy to work with...I'm just frustrated. The other factor not stated earlier is that my pump is slightly higher than the water level of the way around this. Maybe 4-6" I'm guessing. Pump is inside a shed right on the other side of a cement retaining wallI right behind the pond.I also installed a `one way valve under the water line below the skimmer in hopes of always keeping a good prime when the pump went off. BUT...I'm worried also that the reduced fittings, etc. may clog super easily wtih just a few leaves? Unsure. No way of knowing.I would be glad to send photos or videos of my exact set-up so an expert could see instantly what I've got...we could Skype or whatever works. Thanks for your consideration. My other question is...will you stay with me until I get this resolved. Meaning, you advise..I do what you ay..and then we follow up. I'm willing to pay extra as long as I can get this resolved satisfactorily. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like you to respond. I would greatly appreciate it. Billy, I know this is probably a multi-pronged solution/answer...not just a two second fix...but I would like an expert to guide me here. I think you can see my frustration. Since this is visual thing with pipes and walls and curves, etc. I think it would be good to Skype you and do a video walk around so you can see the exact set up. I could turn valves on and you a close up of the water in the cage by the pump...etc. I think if you see may know right up front what the problem is.